Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A pressing concern, atop so many others, would be my rear suspension. My car is a inline 6 and is mainly street driven. I rarely have rear passengers but I would like to accommodate for that as well. The roads here are a mix between bumpy and smooth. It sags a lot and I feel its time to replace the aging leafs. Since this is my first time replacing them, I am open to any advice, I kind of got a jist on how to do it. I'm more concerned on choices:

I get the 4, 4 1/2, and 5 leaf setup. Basically 4 is stock spring rate, 4 1/2 a little firmer, and 5 basically a race set up (for lack of better words)? Correct me if I am wrong please. Also there are the GT springs.... (someone explain please)

Standard eye is stock height, mid is a 1" drop and reverse is a 2" drop right?

My main question here or at least request would be your guy's opinions and experience with what springs you use and why and how do they feel when you drive. Also pictures! Pictures are a thousand words and it would help me visualize a choice.

I have seen a few threads on here recently discussing springs and it helped me stir this up but unfortunately they die within a couple of posts. Any help as I hope to do this before summer. Thanks everyone, you are all equally awesome and sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Brandon,
All vehicles, the Mustangs included, are a series of compromises between handling, power, comfort, etc. The leaf springs on your car are no exception. All in all, you will find that OEM 4 leaf standard eye springs will work out really well for you. Stiffer and lower bring problems you most likely will not wish to address. Now, if you at some time wish to make a road race car out of your ride, you should re-visit this subject.
Best,
Al

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brandon,
All vehicles, the Mustangs included, are a series of compromises between handling, power, comfort, etc. The leaf springs on your car are no exception. All in all, you will find that OEM 4 leaf standard eye springs will work out really well for you. Stiffer and lower bring problems you most likely will not wish to address. Now, if you at some time wish to make a road race car out of your ride, you should re-visit this subject.
Best,
Al
So you reccomend just stock springs. Do you have any pics on your car? I still need to find the cheapest pricing on them as well. Yeah I don't really plan on road racing but maybe just a bit firmer for all these rough roads?

Sent from my SCH-I405

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
What do you want the final ride ht. to look like? You are correct the eye placement will set the basic ht. which varies from car to car it seems. I used 4 1/2 mideyes as I wanted my fenderlips just above the tires. The fender lip is ~1/2" above the tire tread but I have 15" tires it may be different with 14", 16", 17" you get the idea plus there was a lot of variance when these cars were built so they don't seem to ever come out at the exact ht. with the same springs.

The majority of reverse eye's I have seen put the tire into the wheel well.
Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brandon,

Check out Mustang Steve's ride height page. Gives some good pictures of various spring combos and ride heights.

MustangSteve's Classic Mustang Ride Height Page

What do you want the final ride ht. to look like? You are correct the eye placement will set the basic ht. which varies from car to car it seems. I used 4 1/2 mideyes as I wanted my fenderlips just above the tires. The fender lip is ~1/2" above the tire tread but I have 15" tires it may be different with 14", 16", 17" you get the idea plus there was a lot of variance when these cars were built so they don't seem to ever come out at the exact ht. with the same springs.

The majority of reverse eye's I have seen put the tire into the wheel well.
Jon

@fuzzyshubert yeah I've seen his site before and I liked a few stances there but I was also wondering like when actually driving how does it feel?

@Jonk67 yeah reverse eye right there is a little to low for me. I kind of like the look of the front being lower then the rear. A slight rake. I have 14" tires and how do you like the 4 1/2 leaves? To firm? Just right? To stockish? (Lack of better words)

Thanks to everyone so far for the advice and help! Keep it coming!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts