Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1966 Mustang 200 with an automatic transmission. Starting to try and get this car running so I can start with a restoration. The shifter handle moves forward and backwards with ease as though its not in gear at all. The car currently doesn't have brakes. I will be doing the dual bowl conversion soon. The car has new spark plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap, at TDC rotor points to plug one and it just cranks. Still have to check the gap at the points. Also has a brand new fuel pump which is getting gas to the carb. It has the replacement Holley 1940 carburetor which was just rebuilt.
My real question is what will I need to do to fix the shifter and also would that have anything to do with my car not starting? Anyone encountered this problem before?

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Hi, push the shifter towards the passenger side and than try shifting it. Odds are the shifter bushings are shot (easy & cheap fix you can do yourself in your garage). The shifter handle has a lever that drops into slots in a plate when you shift into gear. When you push the button in it lifts the lever up out of the slots so you can shift through the gears.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Went out and tried but still the same effect. The shifter shifts and you can hear it click through all the gears. Problem is I don't have to push the button to move to the next gear. I can just lightly pull or push and the shifter goes. Those bushings are definitely going to get replaced though, shifter wobbles side to side a lot as well. So would the whole issue just be those bushings or is there something else faulty here?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Check the bushings in the shifter and in your linkage rod. The C4 has a neutral start switch mounted on the transmission and there is a small hole to align it with the lever so it will crank in park and neutral.
You may also have a warn detent plate just under the faceplate for the shifter.
Paul

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Them bushings for the shifter are pretty easy on the wallet. $3 a pair if i remember right. My shifter moved left to right alot. The bushings fixed all of the play. Like 66Sprint said, they are (sorta) easy....you have to get to them from both the top & bottom. There is a plate underneath car that you will need to remove to get at the bushings. Make sure the bushings stay where they are supposed to, while putting it back together.

Main problem i had was from top was gettng the shifter handle to break loose from part that goes underneath. I was reading a step by step instruction article and it said it might need a slap or 2 to get them apart. It was just a case of being stuck together for 40 plus years. Took some effort. have fun! :yup:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The car cranks so i'm assuming it is in neutral or park. Ran out of daylight to try anything more today.
Well I have the bushings for the shifter and linkage ordered so hopefully that will help. As far as the detent plate for the transmission, I have been searching online and cant seem to find anything that matches that. Could someone possibly point me to where I could order one? I do appreciate all the help from everyone!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I got the car started. Gapped the points and ran the gas line into a gas can. Old lines must be clogged up or something, wasnt allowing enough gas through. Was going to put new lines on it anyways. Car is blowing white/grey smoke, not sure if its from sitting or possibly too much fuel. coolant doesnt seam contaminated nor does the oil and doesnt smell like coolant.
Still awaiting bushings and still wondering where I could find a detent plate if I need to replace.
Any ideas on what I should check, I read something about possibly transmission diaphram being bad and engine possibly sucking in tranny fluid causing the smoke? The car sounds decent and runs smooth other than the high idle. Any ideas or pointers I should try? New to the 66 so I'm still learning and researching.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts