Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tryingto do some resaerch online but figured this was the best place to ask...

What kind of oil do you al think i should be runing my my car. Remember, my car is an older butlower milage car that has never been apart. It does not leak, smoke or make any noise what so ever. Im just found out that i should be runing some type of zink additive to my oil becuase new oils dont have it. Can this be added to synthetics? Should i even be using synthetics on this motor or just use plain old 10/30. RIght now im using 5/30 Synergyn and it runs fine but if its not whati shoud use ill change. I just need to know about the additive.

Also, my dad told me to put this stuff called RESTORE in my oil. He said it will run better and it worked on allhis older or high milage motors. Ive seen alot of good reviews on the stuff but do i realy need it? Should i just as a precaution for the motor being 43 years old an never apart?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Just put oil that meets or exceeds the OEM specs

I wouldn't put synthetic oil in an worn engine.

Only after break in of a rebuilt engine

Why additives ...do you want to loosen up everything so it smokes and loses compression ?

That's what happens when you use some kind of cleaner on an old engine.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What about tranny fluid? Since i have a B&M Transpak in it, should i be using some type of additive or just use that same old ford stuff as if i dont have nything in it?

·
Registered
44 Posts
run it just like its 1966 again i think mil1ions got a point here....i put 5/30 in mine and i know some people even run 20/50.....i think it all depends im assuming u drive the car summer only or?

·
Registered
743 Posts
Oh please do NOT put that engine flush in your car!

MILLION is right, that stuff will cause more harm than good. My mechanic once told me that in old engines the engine flush can knock pieces of buildup loose and clog oil passages, and he's rebuilt a number of motors due to newly loosened crap clogging the oil pickup in the pan. That stuff is probably good if used regularly from the beginning, but 43 years in it is not worth the risk. That crap is probably what's holding your engine together. Use it and you'll likely lose compression and develop a few new oil leaks at the very least. Just my $.02.

I was told the best way to clean crap out is by draining the oil, then filling with 3qts oil and 1qt trans fluid, and idling for 15 minutes, drain, fill with 4qts fresh oil, drain, and then replace the filter and oil. The first time I did this on my old Buick, the clean oil came out black 15 mins later. I've been doing this about every 4th oil change for 10 years, and never had a problem. However, use at your own risk. You know what they say, if it ain't broke......

As for the oil, I think you should stick with 10w30; I use Valvoline. My engine is like yours, 230K miles and never been apart. I believe the heavier (ie 20w50) oil is good for a worn engine to help keep compression and maintain the oil cushion on moving parts, and with a nice fresh rebuild maybe 5w30 is best. You're likely to get lots of opinions on oil

Transmission fluid, yes, type F is what you need. Wal-Mart still had it last time I was there but I've been overseas nearly a year. I've heard it is being phased out, but that could just be parts counter lore. Don't let anyone tell you that Dex or anything BUT type F should or can go into your transmission, they're wrong wrong wrong, unless the guy who personally rebuilds your transmission tells you otherwise. Dex (GM spec) is what goes in most modern cars and is much more commonly available; it is a lighter weight than F fluid and as such will burn up your transmission in a matter of miles. Or so I've read. Yeah, type F only in there!

Michael

1 - 6 of 6 Posts