Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 1966 Mustang and the odometer and the speedometer are not working. The speedometer work till it hits about 45mph. The odometer just stopped on me. What would it cost to fix the problems. I am not the greatest mechanic out there so if its a big project i most likely will need to bring it to a professional. Any help in this matter would be great.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Since you say it works until you hit about 45 mph, and the odometer doesnt work all together, probably the best thing to do is to take out the instrument cluster, pull out the speedometer from it.

Six screws hold in the instrument cluster. You have to disconnect all the wires behind it- so now is the time to become familiar with the wiring diagrams that you can download from this site.

The instrument cluster comes apart with about eight screws. The speedometer is held on with two screws.

Most likely, your looking at a speedodometer replacement, about $65 most Mustang parts vendors.

Or, you can go the ebay route, to try to find an old one- if you go that route, you might want to paint the needle, and there will be no guarantee that one works.

If your not all that mechanical, buy a repro.

A possiblity also is that the speedometer cable that plugs into the back of the unit has some issues, but since your odometer doesnt work also and you do get some sort of reading from it, I am doubting that is the issue.

And, I see it is your first post, so "Welcome Aboard"- lots of people willing to help with all kinds of issues here.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response. I will follow your directions and see what happens. Glad I signed up.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts