Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm going to convert to electronic ignition and I'm curious to know what others think of the Pertronix I vs. Petronix II conversion kits. I saw a few negative posts about the P II set. I've used the P I set in my classic Cadillacs without any issues, but I've not used the P II before.

For background info, I have a 1966 Coupe V8 289 automatic- all original.

Any insights on the differences between these two sets or a better brand is appreicated!

·
Registered
262 Posts
GHJEDI,
If you read your post, you've answered your own question!!!!! Why would you not go back to the Pertronix 1? You've used them before with no problems, you've read (correctly, IMHO) the pertronix 2 has issues, the decision is a no brainer!!!

Remember, IF IT AIN"T BROKE, DON"T FIX IT!!!!
Jay67fast

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know all too well about not fixing what isn't broken. But, it's the promise, however small, of making it better that tempts. At any rate, just curious to know if anyone has had a good experience with Pertronix II?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I know all too well about not fixing what isn't broken. But, it's the promise, however small, of making it better that tempts. At any rate, just curious to know if anyone has had a good experience with Pertronix II?

Count me in on good Pertronix 2 experience. less than 30 min install with immediate positive results on a stock coil and original distributor. Car starts, runs, accelerates better than with the old points. The tweaks on the two are an improvement. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I have been running Pertronix 1 in my distributor and pertronix wires, and they are great. But I thought all the problems with P II were with the coil, weren't they?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good question 66Sprint200! I thought that the P II conversion set required the coil upgrade (vs. the stock coil), but C25sailor's experience would indicate otherwise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has anyone else had success with the Petronix II electronic ignition set using the stock coil and stock distributor (my scenario)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts