Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an unusual Thread title, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem. I have a 1988 302 in my 1966 Mustang with a 1986-88 power steering pump. The stock cover for the pump has come off twice at high speeds. The last time I was on the freeway running at about 4,500 RPMs. When I returned home, I noticed no power steering pump cap. I have a stock Ford Hydro boost system for my four wheel disc brakes that runs off the power steering pump. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the cap coming off. If anyone has experienced this, please let me know what you have done to keep the cap on. Thanks, Bubba. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
831 Posts
Must be a pressure buildup inside the reservoir. Is the 86-88 pump the type with the yellowish plastic reservoir? Might put an ugly hose clamp around the opening, but this does not address the cause.

You mention it happened at 4500 revs. At this speed, the pump is spinning quite fast. Is your crank pulley smaller than a stock 86-88? Could be spinning the pump too fast. Just a guess.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Since you say the cap comes off at high speeds, it seems to me that its either popping off because of all the vibration when the engines revving high or from higher pressure on the cap again cause of the revving.

Either way, I would replace the cap and see what happens

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Must be a pressure buildup inside the reservoir. Is the 86-88 pump the type with the yellowish plastic reservoir? Might put an ugly hose clamp around the opening, but this does not address the cause.

You mention it happened at 4500 revs. At this speed, the pump is spinning quite fast. Is your crank pulley smaller than a stock 86-88? Could be spinning the pump too fast. Just a guess.
To answer your questions: The pump is black and it doesn't have an external reservoir. Just a one piece pump with a black plastic cap that pushes down and then turns clockwise to lock. The ugly hose clamp idea would be great, but everything is either stainless or chrome. I even have a stainless collar around the neck of the pump and at one time had a stainless cap before it blew off:gringreen. I'm thinking of drilling a very small hole through the pump lip and cap and securing it with either a small screw or safety wire. What do you think about either one of those ideas?

I'm guessing it happens at high rpms because I had just returned from a drive on the freeway and the car has 3.73 gears. The crank pulley was in a kit from March, a serpentine pulley system. As far as I can remember the crank pulley was the stock size, but I'm not 100% sure. The pump is running the stock 66 Mustang power steering. I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 66 and 88 year power steering system as it relates to the pump. I believe I asked the forum members this question before and no one could answer that question. Anyway, thanks for the input and let me know what you think.

@t.mcginley.jr: I have replaced the cap and now before I drive on the freeway want to figure a way to secure it better so I don' lose it. The cap isn't real expensive, but the power steering fluid over everything is annoying and time consuming, if ya know what I mean:grinroll: Thanks for your input and let me know what you think about securing the cap.

Bubba

Bubba.

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you have an aftermarket serp setup, then your rpms should be fine since they take all of that into account when they design those kits. That said, I don't know how extended running at 4500 revs affects the pump.

I was going to suggest a screw in the cap but went with the God -awful clamp instead. If you use a nice stainless screw, it will just disappear.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you have an aftermarket serp setup, then your rpms should be fine since they take all of that into account when they design those kits. That said, I don't know how extended running at 4500 revs affects the pump.

I was going to suggest a screw in the cap but went with the God -awful clamp instead. If you use a nice stainless screw, it will just disappear.
That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the info.

Bubba:bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts