Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about my oil filter. I use motorcraft but I was going to go with fram on my newly rebuilt engine. The problem is that I have went through two fram filters in a month. The seals keep coming apart from the filter and oil blowing everywhere. Luckily I was at home both times. Just wondering if anybody has had this problem. Tomorrow im going to go pick up my reliable motorcraft filter. It feels good to finally drive it down the road!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Please don't take offense when I ask this but...did you make sure the old seal came off with the old filter? If the old seal stayed on the block and the new filter was installed on top of it you will have exactly what you describing. Did you coat the seal on the new filter with FRESH oil before you put it on?

As for filter brand...I think it's a personal preference. Believe it or not I like WIX the best. Good price and I have never had a problem with them. Maybe I have been lucky...but they seem the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
fram oil filters are only good for a paper weight motorcraft or wix are the best out there.Biggest problem with fram is at start up you have no oil pressure for about 30 sec.Theres a valve in it that should open at start up and it don't.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I haven't heard of this problem, but Fram filters are popular because of the extensive advertising. They need to put the ad money into a program to upgrade the quality of their filters. The design of the anti-drain back valve is totally primitive and they don't seal. Fram filters are a money making scam.

Motorcraft filters, (what I use), have upgraded their filtering medium FYI. The other brands I'll use are Wix (NAPA Gold filters are Wix), K&N (overpriced) and Purolator. Don't use any of the store brands, God only knows where they came from, and unless you're desperate, stay away from Fram.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) The motorcraft is as good as any and better than most. I've never been a big fan of Fram. I had one get blown off of my motor at high RPMs once.:shocked: I asked some people that I know about that, and, it turns out, that wasn't really all that uncommon. It was mostly a dirt bike thing, but wasn't unheard of on cars.:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I started using Fram several years ago. I noticed the same thing you did, that is, the rubber seal would remain on the engine when I removed the filter. That's inspite of the fact that I put oil on the seal before I installed it. It has happened several times since. I have always checked for this during a change because I was taught to do it, but I never actually had it happen till I started using Fram filters. Due to a thread that went way out of control on another forum site, I have decided to go back to Motorcraft or purolator brands.

I hope that you didn't leave a rubber seal on the engine and installed a new filter over it. That will cause you a big problem. Always check!

Harry

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the information. The motor has about 300 miles on a new rebuild and there is no other seal other than the one on the filter . Im just going to go back to motorcraft. Im glad it is not just me that has had this problem with this filter. Im lucky that I was at the house when it happened.

Thanks Harold

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.