Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is my radiator fluid shooting out all over my engine when I'm driving over 45mph. This has happen to me twice so far. Is this a red flag or common problem? Just sick of cleaning the engine everytime this happens. Thanks

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Nope. That's not normal. :headscratch:

Chances are, you have a leaking hose that's making a mess of your engine compartment. At 45mph, it can pretty much get everywhere.
Here's a picture of the active hoses that carry coolant when the engine is running. The lower radiator hose is not shown. I suggest you start your car and let it idle until it reaches full operating temperature. The built up pressure should start the hose leaking. Let us know what you find and we will help you fix it. Good Luck. :winks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
If its not an obvious hose leak, check the radiator cap. Its supposed to dump excess pressure and if its doing its job, fluid may spray from around the cap. This may be a simple fix by NOT topping off the radiator all the way. Leave about 3/4 inch of air below the filler cap. Good luck!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Does it matter what the temperature is? Do you have the overflow hose running down to the bottom of the engine bay, along side of the radiator? If you don't, cap the tube at the neck and see if it still does it.

If it does and your cap stays put, it has to be coming out from under the radiator cap. Now the question becomes why? is it a weak cap or possibly a blown head gasket causing it.

What happens if you run right past 45 and hold it at 60, then rapidly decelerate to a stop and open the hood.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Hello Matoskyb,
You have been given a lot of great ideas already but
I would also like to add a few thoughts.

If this problem is happening only on occasion then it must be
pressure related. If it were a leask from a hose or loose clamp
it should appear most all the time.

I think what I would do (in this order)

1. - Check all the hose clamps just to be certain
2. - Check the tension on the fan belt
3. - Change the radiator cap.
If still happens
3. - Flush the radiator with a product like Prestone Flush
4. - Change the thermostat to a 185 or higher

You do not mention if you are running a shroud or not but
you should use one - it will help keep things a little cooler.

Make certain you are NOT overfilling the radiator.

My hunch is a faulty radiator cap. Continue to check for leaks
after the motor is good and warm. If it is a leak I would think
upper radiator hose and it is getting blown back onto the motor.

This should be fixed of course and is NOT normal.

Let us know what you find and we will offer more ideas - -Print Dad

·
Registered
406 Posts
Had the same problem a few weeks ago. Turns out that the brand new radiator cap I got with my new radiator was defective (yet another reason to avoid Sacramento Mustangs). Put on a new cap from Napa and problem solved.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Route your overflow hose far enough down to splash water to the ground, chances are it is short enough that when it sprays out it goes right into the fan and then all over the engine.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I would check the hole on the bottom side of the snout of the water pump, and see if it is wet where the hole is or has stains like it has been leaking, if not then I would remove the radiator cap, start the engine and watch the coolant, and see if it has a lot of very tiny bubbles (indicating a blown head gasket). You have been given good advice from everyone. Post your results. Good Luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you sure it is radiator coolant ( green) or is it transmission fluid (red)? I just replaced my radiator and one of the transmission cooling ports on the bottom sticks out enough that when I put the rubber connecting hose on, it becomes thick enough for the fan blade to nick it on top and while running it starts leaking transmission fluid. I haven't found a solution yet so if anyone has suggestions please let me know.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts