Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1966 mustang rear end for a 6 to 8 swap
The rear end came with the backing plate, wheel cyclinders and axles but no other brake parts or drums.

How do I tell what size drums and brake shoes I need for this rear end? ie: 9" drums with 1-/2 or 2-1/4 wide brake shoes or 10" drums with 2" or 1-3/4 wide brake shoes?

Can anybody help?
I can be contacted at 310-227-6860 or email:[email protected]

Thanks
Martin

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
The standard size for 66 rear drums is 10" x 1 3/4"

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I just bought a 1966 mustang rear end for a 6 to 8 swap
The rear end came with the backing plate, wheel cyclinders and axles but no other brake parts or drums.

How do I tell what size drums and brake shoes I need for this rear end? ie: 9" drums with 1-/2 or 2-1/4 wide brake shoes or 10" drums with 2" or 1-3/4 wide brake shoes?

Can anybody help?
I can be contacted at 310-227-6860 or email:[email protected]

Thanks
Martin
Hi Martin,

Most all big time brake houses, offer complete bolt-on kits already assembled. The cost is somewhere in this range $400-$500.
It makes short work of hunting down all of the individual components.
Happy Trails!

·
Registered
23 Posts
For good deals on brake parts, check out Amazon.com. I got some replacement wheel cylinders for $2.50 and spring kits were cheap too. I even got brake shoes cheaper than most of the online retailers and was able to use a factory rebate from Wagner too...

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Hi Martin,

Most all big time brake houses, offer complete bolt-on kits already assembled. The cost is somewhere in this range $400-$500.
It makes short work of hunting down all of the individual components.
Happy Trails!
Whew thats steep, for less than $300 he could upgrade to these from Ford racing designed for 9" (I believe the drums are 11x.2.25 on this kit)

9" DRUM BRAKE BACKING PLATE KIT FORD RACING | CJ Pony Parts

1 - 6 of 6 Posts