Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, the past couple days I have been replacing my back-up lamps. The previous owner reversed into something and smashed the passenger side lamp. Well, while I was under the back end unbolting them, I saw a rubber/plastic tube plugged into my shock absorbers. I recognized the tube because I have seen them in my trunk near the gas filler where 2 of them that meet at a T-shaped connector. I just didn't know what was at the other end. Now I know its my shock absorbers, but what is it for? Is it to pump oil or air into my rear shocks?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
1966 Mustang Rear Shcok absorber

Ok guys, the past couple days I have been replacing my back-up lamps. The previous owner reversed into something and smashed the passenger side lamp)

Hello 65 Sprint200,
I am almost 100% certain what you have is air shocks. Back in the early 70's I installed a set on one of my Mustangs.
There is a line going to each shock and they come together in a "T". We used to have the open end near the back bumper for filling with air.
So to answer your question..... you have air shocks. These are to be filled with compressed air like from a gas station. Try putting air in the stem that looks like a tire stem and the rear of the car should raise.....Print Dad

·
Registered
25 Posts
also air shocks can make your car ride rough, had a gt convrt 66 years ago and it had air shocks on it. i removed them and it was like a whole different car it rode soo smooth. something to think about! wes

·
Registered
895 Posts
Air Shocks funny, I once had a 73 that the guy who installed them had drilled holes in the back in the tail lamp panel for the filler lines. That way he could adjust the rear ride without having to climb under the car. :hihi:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My car rides nicely, unless I go over a speed bump, then the back end will drop really hard and you will hear everything in my trunk go *thump*. Maybe thats why my drivers side rear end is lower. Maybe I just need to put some air into it. I will eventually replace all of the shocks. A friend of mine used to have 3 65 & 66 fastbacks. He took the Koni shocks off of one of them. He said I can have them when he finds them. Although, I think my 6 might already have Koni's up front. While I am repainting the engine bay I have removed the shock tower caps. Well, on the top of the shock absorber I have found traces of orange paint under the crappy black paint the previous owner put on.

I would love to do a reverse title search on my car so I can find out who the previous owner is and do two things. 1-Find out what the history of & what has been done to my car, and 2-get back the box of parts they still have.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello 66Sprint200,
Sounds like you probably have a bad shock. I am pretty certain the way the air shocks used to work was like a leveler.
You hadline A to left shock. Line B to right shock.
Both A and B hooked into a "T" and the "T was fed by a line that ended with what looked like a tire stem.
We used to put them near the lic plate so we didn't have to crawl around.
See if you see the air stem and add air. The car should raise evenly on both sides.

It is possible yours are installed with 2 filler lines perhaps

They worked great when I had them but that was long ago.....Print Dad

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They both go into one T-shape fitting with an a tire stem like end on it. The previous owner routed them through the same hole as the back-up lamps and the T-fitting is next to the trunk brace that the filler neck goes through inside the trunk.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh? I don't have a trailer hitch. I would like one someday.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.