Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No one is going to believe this.:headscratch: My speedometer went out and I had already replaced the cable. Actually, the transmission shop that rebuilt my transmission the second time after it malfunctioned did. The speedometer cable is stuck in the transmission and will not come out. I took off the retaining bolt and retainer and pulled like I have in the past and it is stuck. On top of that, I noticed that the cable had been leaking on the exhaust system. Anyone know how to get the round metal portion of the cable that goes into the C-4 trans out? Any help would be appreciated. I've tried screwdrivers, pliers and channel locks.:happyhapp

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I don't think that there's going to be any other way, but to use some prying force. Get a pair of Vice-Grips, preferably a pair with the curved jaws, and clamp it onto the metal piece that goes into the trans.

First try twisting the cable. If it doesn't want to work its way out by twisting back and forth, use the Vice-Grips, still securely clamped to the cable, as something to pry against. You will need to pry against the pliers with a small pry bar against the trans housing. That should do it. I find it hard to imagine what could be causing the cable to stick. There's not much there to hold it unless the nylon driven gear that's mounted to the cable stopped turning and it's chewed up to the point that it's hanging up on the transmission's speedo drive gear.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
There is an o-ring that is holding it in place. If you can rotate and pull at the same time on the metal stub that the cable housing is crimped to you will get it out.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is an o-ring that is holding it in place. If you can rotate and pull at the same time on the metal stub that the cable housing is crimped to you will get it out.
Thanks Greek and PaulS. I found out today that the metal stub has been broken off and the cable is no longer attached to the gears or through the stub as it should be. The cable just pulls out of the transmission. So what I have is the round piece of metal with the o-ring in the round hole of the transmission without anything to grab on to, as the round piece of metal is flush with the transmission. Tomorrow I'm going to try to grind down a tool I have that you get to open paint cans and has a bend to it at the end. Hopefully, I can insert that into the hole where the cable went and pry out the round piece left in the tailshaft. If not, I'm not sure what to do, because there is very little room to work.:headscratch::headscratch:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts