Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, So this has been happening alot lately. and I'm pretty sure that this is carb related.. but a little more specifics would rock.

I went out to the car today. Pumped the accelerator 3 times, and then started the engine. It turned over for about 2 seconds. the sputters out and dies.

I pumped some more gas, and then started it right up and as soon as it turned over, I just gave it some more gas, and then let it idle for a minute and then I was back on the road.

Im just afraid that this is going to happen regularly and I need to get this baby running like a top. any suggestions, or advice would be great.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Could be as simple as adjusting the choke and fast idle. Carb could need a refresh. Electronic ignition helps with quicker starts. Have to keep in mind you have 40+ year old technology and it just doesn't compare with modern vehicles where you turn key and go.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Hey everyone, So this has been happening alot lately. and I'm pretty sure that this is carb related.. but a little more specifics would rock.

I went out to the car today. Pumped the accelerator 3 times, and then started the engine. It turned over for about 2 seconds. the sputters out and dies.

I pumped some more gas, and then started it right up and as soon as it turned over, I just gave it some more gas, and then let it idle for a minute and then I was back on the road.

Im just afraid that this is going to happen regularly and I need to get this baby running like a top. any suggestions, or advice would be great.
Hi,
Good advice regarding the choke.
With the engine cooled, have a helper depress the accelerator while you observe the choke plate. It should "snap" 98% closed. If not, check the associated linkage. You don't mention if this is an electric choke or utilizes a choke heat tube system. Without this info, I can't offer any additional comments. So what's your year and engine?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Hello All,
GREAT advice on the choke - -BUT - -I think Namath
has other issues as well. If you look at his previous post - -you will
see he had signs of "run-on" and a smell of gas.

I am thinking his fuel bowl is emptying into the intake
either with a stuck float or a bad acc pump. It would make sense that if the bowl drains down it will have to crank a little longer to get fuel into the carb and to burn off the excess in the manifold.

I am NOT trying to interefer BUt I am trying to shed a little more
light on this thread.

If you guys have a moment - please look at his last post and see what you think.

To Namath - -just so you know - -I think the issue is internal to the carb and what I would do is carry a can of starter fluid with you The car will start I am confident BUt
you don't want to drain the battery.

I ONLY use starter fluid as a LAST approach. It is volitile and tough on the motor.

DO NOT use it unless you are totally stuck. I really think a carb rebuild is in order or perhaps a new carb.

I know the other responders and RESPECT their advice - -IT IS SOLID advice.
Just trying to point out a few more symptoms.

print Dad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your advice! It's really appreciated especially since i do not know a whole lot about cars/engines/etc.

but the plan as of late is
I just bought a new battery yesterday.
And im waiting on the carb to come in soon. Im just going to get one of those new autolite vaporizer 1100 from Pony Carbs.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Tip: If you have another thread going about a problem, please refer to it. It keeps us from repeating answers and provides needed information. Good luck with your new carb. I've heard they work rather well, but no personal experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts