Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is a 289 with a 2 barrel carb. it takes a few tries to get it to start. i got it to run for 1 minute once. usually lasts 15 seconds until it dies. what could be the problem. i just rebuilt the carb, but it didn't help. could it be the idle screws aren't adjusted properly?

·
Super Moderator
40,043 Posts
:waveyWelcome to the site:wavey

·
Registered
41,826 Posts
Welcome to AFM. Check out the tech section for some help.

·
Registered
471 Posts
May not be getting enough fuel from the tank. Have you checked your fuel pump, fuel filter (it does not take much trash to plug the original type) and the filter on the end of the sending unit in the tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
theres definitely enough fuel. We didnt connect the float in the carb correctly at first and it was gushing gas. we fixed that but it didn't help

·
Registered
84 Posts
Could be all the things that you mention in your posts - hot or cold idle adjustment, timing or air/fuel mixture. I think that all can contribute to the symptons.

You may want to check out Veronica's blog (the link is provided below) on the article regarding carbs -- it can probably point you in the right direction and has pictures and written so that you can easily understand it.

I think that it is in the April 2008

The Care and Feeding of Ponies

·
Registered
644 Posts
when my 66 did that it was the choke kept sticking close so i just zip tied it open and no more problems. i live in houston so not much need for a choke

·
Registered
520 Posts
I got this same deal on my 66 coupe but i just figured it was just how old cars were. It always takes a couple tries to start for me and i have to keep on the gas a little bit to keep it from stalling out. It seems that the car has to run 5 miles an hour before the motor will stay running. Never gave it any thoughts about it though. Figure it just needs to warm up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to try to work on the mustang, but when i tried to start it, it didn't do anything but turn over. everything is how it was before when it sort of ran. i noticed that there was a bit of gas coming out between the carb and the spacer. I tightened the bolts down a bit more. what are the torque specs for the bolts holding the carb to the intake manifold? tightening them didn't help get the car to start. what could cause this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.