Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so all of the new Grab-a-trak spring and handling parts are on as well as new oem upper and lower control arms, ball joints, bushings, the whole deal. The thing rides FANTASTIC!!! But theres a small, er...LOUD problem. Coming form the front right is a HORRIBLE sound. Its sounds lke a metal to metal grind or more appropriately a sound like an old door in a spook film slowly opening. If is hit a bump, it makes that sound. If im making a turn, it makes that sound. If i hit the gas, it makes that sound. Hit the brakes, makes that sound.
So the mechanic ( ford/mustang guy) said it was the left upper control arm bushing kit, or the parts that bolt the arm to the car. He said he greased it, drove it, greased it, drove it and still cant figure out why its making that sound. I bought all the parts from Mustangs Unlimited and the Grab-a-trak kit form Mustangs Plus.

Anyone have an idea on what it could be or why its doing it? Like i said, its all brand new and proffesionaly installed. Even the installer cant figure it out. He said just drive for a while and when i bring it back for a "300 mile instpection" He will check it out. I mean its so loud even on the outside that its hideous and i dont even want to drive it. I cant even enjoy the new ride quality because of that sound. I dont know what to do. Again any help would be really appreciated. Thanks :sosad:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Screw the 300 miles he needs to look at that control arm and spring perches . You don't want to drive the car the way it is because you might damage something.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Why would the sound come from the right if it's the left upper control arm? What about the spring perch? It is on the upper control arm, and if it is a roller perch, it could squeak. Other than the ball joints, that about all I can think of. Or maybe the shock itself.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sorry, did i say right? I meanleft. BUT now i was playing with it and it is coming form both sides. It has NEW...

upper control arm kits with ball joints
lower control arm kits with ball joints
oem type spring perches
front coils
front sway bar
endlinks
rear leafs
shocks all around

i mean its all new. It was professionally done by a mechanic. He said it shouldnt be doing that and to bring it back first thing in the morning. So well see what happens from there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Are the uppers shimmed correctly? If not, as the suspension moves the arms could be bumping the shock towers through the bolts in the holes in the shock towers, since you said it's now coming from both sides. Shine a flashlight behind the coil and check to see if there's a gap back there where the bolts pass through the shock tower. There may have been some shifting/settling from initial first use.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, ill take a look before i go tomarrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
one other simple thing you might try. take some wd 40 and squirt your sway bar bushings thouroughly. if you installed polyurethane bushings they can make a terrible sound. squirt them thouroughly and if it does not go away than that is one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah its not the poly. We sprayed it all real good with graphite and it was nice and quiet, we even took off teh swaybar al together and its still making that sound. Hes tearing it apart right now. Theres a possibility that i just got some defective parts? Idk. Just have to wait and see i guess.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
oh well it was a thought. hope you get it all straightened out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I want to guess!

:wavey even professionals mess up! They're human right? :bigthumbsup

Dne' here! I want to make a guess!! I'm going to guess that you have a LCA rubbing on its own frame channel. These old cars get banged up badly on the frame, strut channels, etc.! They may look straight, but when you put them back on the ground, with a new unbent LCA, and the LCA's in it's recessed channel, it may easily do what I said. I hope it was a simple fix! you sounded so excited about it! :bigthumbsup
dne'

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fantastic!

Ok just got it back. He said he couldnt figure it out. He took the whole thing apart again checked everything out and resinstalled it. So, now its fixed and we have no idea what it was. So its fixed, no i can enjoy the ride, which i might say is a bit stiffer then i wanted but is SOOOOOO much nicer then the 43 year old suspension before. :happydance::gringreen Next will be the trak-loc and 3.25 rear end. Gotta get this thing off the line and going!!!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My guess would be ball joints. My '94 makes some annoying metallic squeaking sounds whenever I turn the wheel, go over a bump, whatever. The ball joints sometimes aren't properly greased, so metal contacts metal and that's what it sounds like.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not over yet...

So today i took the car out on Joy lane. Joy lane is my "test track" for any kind of mods i make to my cars. There is this 2 mile perfectly straight stretch out in the middle of nowhere. Perfect for really opening the thing up...

And open her up i did. I punch her and she left a nice patch of rubber with tire smoking and screaming....she ran hard all the way to 55mph..CHIIIRP into second she shifted up to 80 and into third... then i notice it was wondering.....BAD! So i let off teh gas and i could almost barely handle the car she wanted to go all over the place. so i hit the brakes and she wanted to pull right, i steered tothe left and it was side to side all over the road. I finally got it straight and got back on the hwy. Now then, the ride home on the hwy was fine. Steady cruise at 55-60 mph no problems.

I seriously think this new suspension is too stiff for this car. I mean i never noticed it before on any other car but with this car now, any time it hits any bump in the road it wants to "wonder" like its so bouncy it cant stay straight. I dont get it. Im gonna take it back to the shop Monday and have the guy ride with me so he can see. The last thing i need is to be going on the freeway at 75-80mph and loose control and crash. This car has been nothing but a headache ever since i put on the suspension. I really dont know what to do at this point. Ive spent so much money on parts and labor and it has been nothing that good yet. :weeps:sosad:

·
Registered
92 Posts
please keep me posted on your problems and hopefully solution. Im currently looking at buying the grab a trak suspention and would really appreciate any info. on a side note my 67 fastback, with stock suspention, also wanders really badly when i accelerate or let off the gas. isnt that what is known as bump steer and dont they make kits to fix that?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
please keep me posted on your problems and hopefully solution. Im currently looking at buying the grab a trak suspention and would really appreciate any info. on a side note my 67 fastback, with stock suspention, also wanders really badly when i accelerate or let off the gas. isnt that what is known as bump steer and dont they make kits to fix that?
Yeah, i dont know, but im hoping someone will tell me. As fat as the ride itsself, this thing rides like a brand new Mustang. Its FANTASTIC. It just seems to be that when i get over 70mph it gets squirley so well have to see. I an believe it is a majore problem, just somthing simple that was overlooked. Ill keep posting with my findings.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is it the original steering box? If so, has it been rebuilt? They can get pretty sloppy at high speeds when they are wearing out.

The braking thing could be Bumpsteer. Should read into that (very important to know!). The Mustangs came from the factory with a tiny bit of bumpsteer, but when you go and lower the stock style suspension the bumpsteer gets worse. That style of suspension kit is just a modification of the original style suspension. You can buy bumpsteer correctors (which I recommend) but research them very carefully because some are only for in town/road racing, not so much for highway playing and drag racing.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Is it the original steering box? If so, has it been rebuilt? They can get pretty sloppy at high speeds when they are wearing out. With the new and more stiff suspension, a problem like that would become more obvious with a stiffer suspension putting more tension on the running gear.

The braking thing could be Bumpsteer. Should read into that (very important to know!). The Mustangs came from the factory with a tiny bit of bumpsteer, but when you go and lower the stock style suspension the bumpsteer gets worse. That style of suspension kit is just a modification of the original style suspension. You can buy bumpsteer correctors (which I recommend) but research them very carefully because some are only for in town/road racing, not so much for highway playing and drag racing.

Goodluck.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I have the Mustang+ suspension and it is stiff but handles great.
I really think you are dealing with alignment problems. It sounds like you do not have enough positive caster.
Did he align it after he put it back together?
What specs did he set it to? You will want +2 to +3.5 Caster to make it track straight.
Day has an excellent article. He is the Guru for Mustangs:
http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101

Good Luck and Be Safe
Ron
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok, so today i took it out for its "daily cruise" around the neighborhood. I noticed that it stated making a "knocking or clunking noise" from the right rear end of the car. Ill cruise at 25mph, then hit that gas and tak her up to 30ish and let off. As soon as i let off, "knock KNOCK". A little double kncok sound. I even came to a couple stop signs and when i did it did it then too. I brought it back home and checked it out. Everything seems to be fine, nothing looks loose of broken and i check for clearance of exhaust pipes, etc. I just had all new suspension put on (grab-a-trak brand) and i have had nothing but problems with it. Everytime i fix something, then another problem arises. Im really sorry i replaced that 43year old suspension. It rode a little mushy but i didnt have any issues like i do now.

Anyway, has anyone ever heard this noise before or know what i might be talking about? Its gonna go back to the shop next week to have the new 3rd member installed so ill have it checked out. I was just hopeing to have an idea of what it was so i could let him know what to look for. I wonder if its the lowering block in the back? I dont know. WHat a pain in the butt this thing is. No wonder i leave it in storage most of the time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts