Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the 66 with t5 and l6. Just did 8" rear, disc brake, 5 lug, new v8 suspension and everything so I am now able to do the v8!

New thing is what motor should I go with to pair to the t5?

I am not building the engine to be fast. I would like about 250hp (give or take a few) and for it to sound good with a small cam... but I do not want to have any issues because I know the t5 can handle about 300, and the rear end is a 66 with new gears so its strong but its not a 8.8". So I dont want to kill that either.

I found a 1993 cobra motor online for about 2400 re-manufactured engine with 100,000 mile/3 year warranty. and those are about 235hp and I believe they should work with the t5 unless cobra motor is different than regular 5.0

I am not too good with motors or anything, I don't want to build one, nor to do I want to take one out of an old foxbody. I really would like to be under 2500 for the engine itself. I do know I will need the radiator, wiring harness, and computer since I want fuel injection.

Any help would be appreciated, I am only 20 and still trying to learn. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
75 Posts
As far as mounting to the T5 the cobra motor should fit fine, it's the same block, maybe a stronger then stock clutch. The motor mounts may have to be changed. I think your biggest issue will be getting the wiring harness spliced in, but it should be common swap so I'm sure a little googling will get you the info you need.

·
Registered
198 Posts
A *lot* of people have been recommending the 5.0 out of the late 90's explorers, I believe it's 96-01, and drop those in. The only thing you'll have to be careful of is the GT-40P heads require a different style of header, and those are on 97+. The explorer 5.0's were around 210 hp or so and wouldn't need a whole lot to bump up to 250. If you were looking into a more cost-saving option there's that. I'll prob be going that route somewhere down the line when I get around to doing an EFI swap, but that's a ways off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts