Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there ever repair a bad temp gauge. I had an loose hot wire behind the gauge cluster and think I may have zapped the engine temp gauge. Brand new temp sensor and wiring, so it is the only think I can think of.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I don't know if anyone can repair the gauge, I think you just replace it if its bad. The sender is easier and cheaper to replace.

A 25 Ohm resistor to ground from the end of the temp sensor wire on the engine should make the temp gauge read about in the middle any time the key is on. 10 Ohms or shorting the sender wire to ground should cause the gauge to peg on the right side but don't short it for very long or you can damage the gauge. If the gauge passes these tests then you need a new sender.

Except for the painted dial, the oil and temp gauge (gas gauge too for that matter) are internally the same so another way to tell if the gauge is OK is to disconnect the temp sensor wire and hook it to the oil pressure sender (after disconnecting its wire) with a jumper wire of some kind under the hood. This one requires a working oil pressure gauge to begin with and you also need to start the engine to see if you get an oil pressure reading on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
You can find some places listed in Hemmings Motor News that repair gauges.

I do know that there are repro gauges for the 65-66 cars available now too but I haven't heard anything about them yet, good or bad.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts