Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have tricks for forcing grease into tie rods that won't accept grease? My grease gun attaches firmly to the zerk, and I have removed each zerk to verify I can pump grease thru them. My tie rods don't seem worn out, so I don't want to replace them. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
Grease will oxidize and harden over time and no amount of pressure will push out the old crap. As long as there is no play in the steering then just forget about it. It will eventually wear out and then you can replace it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I had a problem getting grease into the top zerk (UCA) and I read in MM that if you have a helper to bounce the car up & down while you are greasing it, it will help.

Also, I have to hold the grease fitting onto the zerk to get grease into the zerk fitting. while holding the gun on the ground with other hand and using the ground to hold the gun while I do the lever part. If that makes any sense.

Ken

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Take the Zerk fitting out, and use a small tool or tiny screwdriver, small nail what ever and dig in the hole to get some of the crude out, then put your zerk fitting back in and try to grease it again, it may take a lot of pressure to get it started. If it does grease then grease it up pretty good, and wipe the excess off. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Try turning the wheels from center. Also, you should be able to rotate tie rod ends a bit while trying to pump the grease in. Make sure you are straight on the fitting. Sometimes it just takes a magic touch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Would applying heat (with the boot removed) or soaking in solvent be a good approach for eradicating the old grease?

·
Registered
984 Posts
suggestion

Try hair blower to heat up the site, or use a heat gun. Bounce the auto up and sown and use a new zerk fitting.

Most of this info has been given already, but I would use a new zerk , they are inexpensive.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts