Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a customer who wants me to install an air bag system utilizing either a 3 link or 4 link rear suspension. He is undecided as to what he wants to do to the front. He mentioned just making modifications to the front to use bags or changing to a mustang II system

I have never done this type of modification to a mustang this old. Most of the stuff I do is drag race oriented so cages are involved and the build it totally different. This car is not a race car.

My question is has anyone on here done this type build. What parts etc did you use? My first thoughts for the back are to use a bolt in setup. This should make for a pretty fast install for the rear. Im kinda stumped on the front. Without having the car in front of me I cant get a good idea whats involved.

any thoughts. Im not all excited about this build as I dont want to bag a classic. Hes a paying customer though so money is money

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
TCP has some bolt in stuff for the front that I would recommend if you don't want to do a bunch of surgery. As for the rear, I am not a fan of most 4 links. If he wants to drive it hard and have it predictable, I'd recommend a torque arm and Watts link. From there, you replace the coilover with AirWaves from Varishock, the same stuff that TCP uses. Personally, I like Griggs, and they'll customize your order however you like. Not quite bolt-in, but it's not particularly difficult.

But if all he cares about is having it bagged, then I'd say check this out: Total Control G-Bar And this: Varishock Air Spring

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Hello Casey,

Welcome to AFM.

Check with your lawyer. I wouldn't touch an attempt to put air bags in any car since you will always be doing something that will get you sued if the car ever has a crash. IMHO, even if you do the best possible, you will still get sued. You have no engineering data or knowledge to do this job and anything you do will likely be determined to cause more harm than good by whoever stands to make the most from the lawsuit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts