Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to for my turn signal canceller on my 66 convertible. I thought before taking it apart that it was the typical "canceller plastic arm broke off-buy the repair canceller fix".

Not so. My plastic canceller arms are both perfectly intact. However, I dont see any metal clip that would clip on the round hub, acting as the canceller actuator.

After messing around with it for awhile, and looking at another 66 wheel, I found the issue. This 66 wheel I have has a 1 3/8 diameter where the metal canceller clip would fit normally.

My other 66 wheel, which the canceller metal clip fits on normally, is only 1 1/8 inches. This 1/4 inch difference makes a big difference, because it puts the canceller metal clips or pins too close to the plastic turn signal cam, causing the blinkers to come on any time one turns the steering wheel.

I am at Carslisle All Ford Nationals this weekend, and have been looking at the bottom of steering wheels at the swap meet to solve the mystery. Thus far, I havent gotten any closer to an answer.

How in the world did the 1 3/8 diameter wheel engage with the plastic turn signal canceller? It seems too large diameter wise to properly work.

There were two metal pins inserted in what looked to be factory drilled holes in the metal cam-see pic. The were the flush with the height of the metal cam and didnt seem to be doing anything when I turned the wheel. I refabricated longer ones, to try to engage the plastic cam in the steering column, but in doing so, that extra height did nothing but make the blinker arms move whenever I turned the wheel.

I also took my metal clip from my other 66 wheel and bent it out (in the process, snapping it of course), to fit this 1 3/8 hub. That didnt work either, it basically just made the blinker plastic cam move any time I turned the wheel, regardless of if the blinkers were on.

I have a feeling that the groove in the metal casing may be my clue to this puzzle. You probably need to see the picture to get a better idea of what I am speaking of.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to follow up and answer my question from last week. I found out, from Fred at Glazier Nolan Mustang Barn in PA, that I actually have a 67 steering wheel.

On his suggestion, I bought the 68 canceller for a tilt wheel. I got it, snapped it on the back of the steering wheel and now I have turn signals that cancel normally.

Sometimes simple things work- I was expecting to have to do alot more mods to make this part work, but it was literally plug and play.

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
the "cancel clip" is supposed to be welded to the steering wheel, and it should seat close enough to the cancel cam so it can move it only when is tilted.

A side question, where did you get the conductive grease for the contact ring? i can't find it in here anywhere :nono:

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
66takataka, they sell conductive grease in the little packets at the counter of Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.

And I have a question. How does a 1967 steering wheel fit on a 1966 Mustang? That would require a different collar on the steering column. Otherwise there would be a noticeable gap between the steering wheel and the steering column tube.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I used some dialectic grease on it, something that your autoparts store would carry.

The wheel fits fine, and there is no gap that stands out. Got me, but it looks fine and works.

I have to take Fred's word for it that it is a 67 wheel, he knows these cars inside out- and I haven't seen that size splinded hub on any 66's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
66takataka, they sell conductive grease in the little packets at the counter of Autozone or Advance Auto Parts.
Ohhh I forgot about autozone, i went around asking at all the local, Electronics/Electric material supliers and they all looked at me like (o_O) WTF?!

I used some dialectic grease on it, something that your autoparts store would carry.

The wheel fits fine, and there is no gap that stands out. Got me, but it looks fine and works.

I have to take Fred's word for it that it is a 67 wheel, he knows these cars inside out- and I haven't seen that size splinded hub on any 66's.
And it probably is because in mine such holes doesn't exist here is a pic of the bottom of the wheel, (its all busted i know, but i re-adjusted everything and works properly until i get a new one) :p http://img109.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=670415331_IMG_0669_122_384lo.jpg
and since that piece is welded around the center of the wheel that probably fills the gap you have betwen it and the cancel cam ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm tagging onto this old thread because I have a similar problem
I am sorting out problems with this 1966 convertible. This problem is about the turn signals not cancelling.

When I removed the steering wheel, I saw that it does not have a signal cancelling clip on the hub of this new-appearing woodgrain steering wheel.
I got a clip, but darned if I cannot expand it enough to fit over the steering wheel hub!

The wheel hub measures 1 1/8" outer diameter, and the clip measures 1" inner diameter.
I have tried numerous ways to open the spring steel clip but it's just too strong -- expansion pliers, two screwdrivers as levers and hammer, etc.

Anyone have a solution for expanding the clip, or do I need a different clip, or.....??
Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts