Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all. most of you folks have been helping me with my 1966 coupe and have been following my previous post..

today-this is the problem..keep in mind, iam a rookie and trying to learn.

my car is vibrating,big time. NOT at idol,just when you get the rpms up to around 2500 i would guess. its coming straight up the steering column.

my friend and mechanic wanted me to ask you guys a few questions.

We took off the belt around the Harmonic Balancer,and it still vibrated,then we checked out the mounts,which are ok..he took off pretty much anything rotating,fan,hb,etc. and jacked the front up a little and it still vibrated.

He wanted me to ask if the flywheel/flex plate is internal or externally balanced to the motor? I guess he wants to know if they are interchangeable.. the motor i was told to be a 289 that was bored to a 302..he believes it to be a 302..the #F302210P was on the block..

the original motor in the car was a 6 cylinder according to the vin #.

my buddy seems to think the wrong flex plate/flywheel is on the car.he also said there is a counterweight underneath, which he thinks could be the problem.

so, he wanted me to ask if the flywheel/flex plate is internal or externally balanced..

any advice would be appreciated.please help

thanks
joe

·
Registered
76 Posts
Did he check the timing on the motor? I went through this painful exercise a few months ago. Mine idled perfectly but as soon as I started to rev it over 2500 rpm the entire car shook. I checked the harmonic balancer, flexplate, motor mounts everything you went over. It turns out my timing was advanced 10 degrees to far. I retarded it back to specs and not only did the vibration go away, I gained a pretty good chunk of horsepower. Oh and just as an FYI the motor is externally balanced at 20 oz. The flexplate has a rectangular counterweight attached to it. Don't remove it or you will have problems. My guess would be that the flexplate is probably correct. Ford basicially made 157 tooth and 160 tooth flywheels/flexplates for small blocks. If you had the wrong one the starter gear would probably grind when you tried to start it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
and no, he did not check the timing on the motor.

he also checked the charging system. well its not charging also. the battery is putting out 11.5..the alt is new also..well, thats my next problem to fix.right now he wants to fix the vibration..some other forums or sites say the flywheel/f.plate, or hb could be the wrong one,and not balanced to the motor (302).28 oz or 50oz. i also read angle/pinion, pistons dont match,etc..i just dont know where to start. im a little baffled why the car is dead now,but started up everyday, until my friend(my mechanic) checked the charge and took apart the stuff i mentioned in the above post. well now its dead.i have a battery charger maintaining a charge on it..oh well. this sucks..if you guys have any other advice,keep it coming..he is going to start with the timing,im praying thats the problem.

thanks
joe

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any luck with the timing?

I just wanted to say that I put a 289 flywheel on a 302 once and it would vibrate like crazy at about 2500-3000 rpm and above. This was many years ago before I knew there was a difference in them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Starting in 1982 the balance went from 28 to 50oz external balance as you already have learned. The I6 was internally balanced. I doubt the flywheel/flexplate could have been reused on a V8, but if it was, there is your problem. The block casting number should start 4 digits, C6xx for 66, D6xx for 76, E6 for 86, you get the idea.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey guys.here is my update..the vibration problem was the HB and the flexplate. it is a 302 from 1993..

The pulley system also was from a chevy,so that had to be replaced also.the chevy pulley system also had a spacer welded to the back of it. The motor mount (i guess the bracket) was welded all over and also had a spacer on the back of it,so that was replaced. There is a slight vibration now,which I believe is the straight pipes under the car.thats the final puzzle. i believe i need to hang the pipes and install 2 mufflers,the pipes now,are mounted under the car.they dont move at all..they timing was good..So the vibration is still there a bit,but not as bad as before. I would say 10 being the worse vibration on a 1-10 scale,it was a 8-9,now it is a 2..

thanks for all you help

joe

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just a thought, but same happened to me and was told the tires were not balanced which causes alot of vibration at speeds of 60 - 70

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.