Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was putting my VIN Plate information into an online decoder using the following info:

%563

8 K14 6T07C118583

65A R 26

RM 4 SPEED

I have a 289 2V V8. When I decoded using the "8", I got an axle ratio of 3.89:1. I should have 2.80:1 right? Now, I think the "8" is the axle code. My driver side door is from another Mustang, so I really can't use that. Is there any way to see what ratio I have from my plate? If not, does anyone know where the ratio stamping is on the axle itself? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hello.:) You are looking at what is called the buck tag. It should have been held to the inner fender over near the passenger side hood hinge with a screw. That 8 means that your car was built in welding booth number 8. That isn't an axle code of any sort. That 563 thing is a dealer order number, the 8 is the welding booth, the K14 is the build date on your car ( Oct 14), the vin of your car, 65A is a standard interior coupe, R is the color (Ivy Green) the 26 is black standard interior, RM is rocker moldings, and 4-speed means, that's right, you guessed it, :gringreen a 4 speed manual transmission.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! Thanks, I really wasn't sure if that was my VIN in the first place. So RM means rocker moldings. Now the actual VIN is on the driver side fender area right? Thanks for your help Veronica.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) The vin is stamped in three places on your car, but you can only see one of them without pulling the fenders off, and that's the one over on the driver's side, towards the front that you mentioned. :)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) On re-reading this, I see that I told you something that isn't exactly as right as it could have been ( wrong:gringreen). The 563 is the rotation number, which is the 563rd car of that day. The dealer order info is the symbol to the left of that.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well currently I have the right hand side fender off, but what are you saying with the driver side? I don't have the original door so the door tag won't work. I might have misunderstood you. Where is it stamped on the car that I can get to with the fender off? You don't know how much I appreciate your help. :)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) Here's a picture of where the vin should be stamped on your car. I had a whole post written out as if your car was a 67. :doh: I hate it when that happens.:gringreen

Attachments

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
If you feel like crawling under the car on the diff bolts theres a metal tag with numbers and letters give me all that info i can tell you what it is.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, thanks for the locations guys, I'll check those out later. By the way Veronica, I love your blog, I already see a few things that it will help me with.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Hi again.:) Thank you.:) I'll be adding more stuff as it occurs to me. If there's some procedure that you're wonding about, just let me know and I'll put it up there.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.