Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1966 mustang coupe that had been setting in a garage for ten years due to wiring problems. How hard is it to put a complete wiring harness in such as the one from automotive wiring.com. I have had two 66's in the past and also have a 2006 currently and I am an industrial mechanic so I do have some mechanical knowledge but just not sure of tackling this by myself. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
831 Posts
If you get one designed for your Mustang, it is essentially unplug the old one and plug in the new one.

If you choose one of the generic ones, if you tackle one circuit at a time it is not difficult at all.

Resist the urge to rip out the old one before you take a bunch of pics. Those pics will come in handy later. Trust me on this. :)

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I agree with MustangBradley on using the harnesses that were made for your 66.

You purchased a 66 that had been garaged for 10 years. I purchased a 65 that had been outside for probably close to that. I found the harness under the dash to be in remarkably good shape. It's in a location that's out of the weather, engine heat, and road conditions. It's also the most expensive harness to purchase. That's not to say that there won't be shorts. But with the majority of the harness in good shape, you can track down and repair the breaks with not much effort. If you go stock, all the harnesses in the engine compartment can be replaced for less than $100.

The best part is that all the replacement harnesses have the correct color wires and connectors. You can easily follow the wiring diagrams which are available on the top of the forum page. It takes a lot of the stress out. Anyway, my $.02

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both for your help, i guess i should have mentioned that the car had set that long because of a short under the dash. R\The previous owner didn't have time or knowledge of the wiring but I think I will give it a whirl. Thanks for your advise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts