Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I took out my speedomitor part behind my steering wheel (where the oil, fuel, temperature etc shows up) and I had to unplug all the wiring and when I went to reinstall it I forgot the way the wires were connected and my car wont start.

I hope that makes sense, can anyone help?
Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i just found out the ignition was all in pieces right now, wasn't even connected. i still have all the pieces, but does anyone know how to install it?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I've had my instrument panel out many, many, times for various reasons. I can't easily explain the procedures in an E-mail, so I'll give you the best advice I can, which will help you for years down the road. Get the Ford Shop Manual and Wiring Diagrams! Both are available from National Parts Depot. The wiring diagrams even have an illustration of the back of the instrument panel to show exactly what goes where. One tip I found out the hard way that wasn't in the manuals - it is much, much, much easier to remove and install the ignition switch with the instruments removed already! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If the ignition switch is literally in pieces (broken), it will have to be replaced. I have never heard of repairing one, and wouldn't much trust one that was. As far as where what wires connect where, that is in the wiring diagrams. You should have a big three-contact plug that will only fit on one way, if I remember right, and two or three terminal lugs that connect to the post on the back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts