Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 66 mustang with original 289. my question is that i need to replace the oil pan gasket. i thought i would have to pull motor or at least lift it up but i see a stabilizer bar from one side of frame rail to the other which i figured was welded but it is bolted up. i gather the nuts are weled to inside of frame on both sides so can i just unbolt stabilizer bar and the pan will drop with no problems? if not what are my options. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is a bit more you should know.

Take that large support bar that runs under the oil pan off. I would spray it down with a rust penetrant a day before or so, to make removing it easier. I used a breaker bar to get mine off, it worked fine.

You also will need to remove the steering linkage where it bolts to the frame on the passenger side. That allows the steering links to drop down, which you will need to have the clearance to actually be able to drop down the oil pan.

Use a Fel Pro one piece rubber gasket when reinstalling. Torque bolts to the proper sequence.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for replies guys, was almost ready to pull motor till i saw the bolts in crossbar last night. this will save a whole lotta time. i take it the nuts are welded to brams as i can't feel them on top of frame rails.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts