Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on painting the metal part of my door panels this weekend, with a spray can i purchased from CJpony. This is because i can see the rust spotting thru at the top, probably from rain droplets or so, but any tips? Just sand and spray? Or apply some sort of rus stopper? Thanks

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
The problem is, you can't really sand the doors. If you look, they have a "grain" stamped into the sheetmetal. If you sand the metal too much, it will destroy the grained pattern. So you need to be really careful and if you decide to sand it, I would use very fine sandpaper.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
For the quick (?) and easy (?) method, wire wheeling, then a thourough solvent wipedown, light coat coat of epoxy primer, light coat of gray primer, then paint.

The down and dirty method - steel wool the rusty areas and scotchbrite the rest, then solvent wipedown and spray.

A complete restore would involve paint stripper and.or light sandblasting, followed by self-etch primer, gray primer, and paint.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Maynot be the easiest but to preserve the texture I would use paint remover down to the bare metal then go over it with steel wool and clean with laquer thinner.

Then use a metal etching primer and shoot your top coat. I ended up using catalyzed auto enamel. I wanted the finish as tough as I could get it. You don't want to get your protection with gobs of paint because you will diminish your texture.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
What sick said. Take a wire wheel to it and it will take the paint and rust right off, but not risk damaging the grain like sanding potentially could.

Then degrease it with wax and grease remover, spray it with a self-etching primer, then just spray your lacquer spray paint right over that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
im not done yet, but i used lacquer thinner to remove most of the paint. I then tested a small area with my Dremel tool with the steel brush, it did look pretty good. havn't got past that point yet.

Someone said (possibly in a search for "painting 1966 doors") I read here that you need to use a certain type of primer. I think it was called "low-filling" primer or something close to that. It doesnt fill the low area's as regular primer will do. So, it keeps the texture the way its supposed to be.

Maybe that person will read this & tell us again. :yup:

I did save that post i think. I will post it later tonight if i find it.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
you don't want a high build primer for the doors, but I don't know why anybody would spray a high build primer in the interior anyways.

Any primer you buy in a rattle can won't be a filling or building primer, so you're safe. Etching primer is almost of a water consistency anyways; it's very thin.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, i will go to home depot with that in mind tmrw before i do this, i want it to be a one time deal:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts