Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am restoring a 1966 six banger coupe. I have a 1970 Merc XR7 351C for a donor car.
I plan on swapping the entire drive train eng, trans, rear. I am also using the power brakes from the cougar.
My problem so far: Upper and lower ball joints are the same but the tie rod ends are smaller on the mustang how do I adapt them to the Cougar knuckles?

·
Registered
10 Posts
eberkeleyd,
You are going to have to use the tie rods from the 70. Up to 69 on the brake swap would work but on the 70 they are larger and will have to go with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can use the cougar ties but size is still too big to bolt up to the drag link. Will v8 drag link work or does someone make an adapter?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info.
ijust put the front end back together brake lines are done i got the 70 master and booster to fit (had to use 70 pedals , i wanted cable gas linkage anyway) if it warms up this week i will be putting tne 351c and fmx tranny in

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ever thought about restoring the 1970 Cougar? Especially if it's numbers matching. Just a thought... Wouldn't mind having it myself if so.:scratchchin

·
Registered
153 Posts
mustang steve makes tie rod adapters to mate six cylinder tie rods to v8 spindles. or you could get 66 mustang v8 steering components which is probably safer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts