Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Right now I have a stock 289 v8, c4 trans, and stock 8 inch rear with 2.80 gears and open differential. Im pulling the engine out and boosting it up to about 320hp. Im also overhauling the trans and I wanna install a new third member.

Two questions: First, can I just drop my driveshaft, take out the stock center chunk from the rear and bolt on a new already built one?

Second, do I need to replace the axles?? I believe they are original. Can they handle the increased horsepower?

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
well, first you have to pull the axles also to get the chunk out. but they will be fine. :bigthumbsup you might want to check the axle bearings while they are out.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi guys,

Right now I have a stock 289 v8, c4 trans, and stock 8 inch rear with 2.80 gears and open differential. Im pulling the engine out and boosting it up to about 320hp. Im also overhauling the trans and I wanna install a new third member.

Two questions: First, can I just drop my driveshaft, take out the stock center chunk from the rear and bolt on a new already built one?

Second, do I need to replace the axles?? I believe they are original. Can they handle the increased horsepower?
As long as you replace it with an 8" you will be fine. I just changed the gears in mine with 3.55's and added an aluminum driveshaft.

And I did use the original rear axles in mine and replaced the axles bearings and this was about 13 years ago now and still going strong.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok good I'll probably just use the original axles then. by axle bearing, do you mean the wheel bearings or grease seals?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts