Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 6 cyl convertable with non power drum brakes.The car has never stopped well since I got it.The rear shoes look new,but I found 1 oversized drum and replaced it.The front shoes were badly cracked so I replaced them.After road testing it,it still did'nt feel right.I checked the temp on all four wheels,and the fronts were 320 and the rears were 160.It seems to me that the rears aren't doing their job.Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated,thanks

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
They probably just need adjusted outwards. They are supposed to have self adjusters, so that everytime you use the brakes in reverse the brake pads get adjusted further out.

·
Registered
465 Posts
It also takes 500 miles or so for the brakes to fully "bed in" and work to their potential.They will probably get better in a few weeks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been told that you need to use a softer material for the shoes on the older drum brakes. I replaced my brakes on 1966 and that's what the store told me. They said the shoes you get at auto parts store don't work that well. My brakes work just fine and I don't really want to run a test.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback.Maybe I'm expecting too much from a low tec system.The rears aren't worn,but their pretty glazed.I'll try replacing them and see how that works.Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts