Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
25 years ago, the prior owner of my '66 hardtop replaced the original i6 with a 289 from a 1969 mustang (so he said). I think the conversion ended there. The car still has everything else as if it were still an i6 - brakes, rear end, 4 lug axles, worn out steering box etc etc etc.

I just got the car, and I'm trying to decide how to proceed. From what I've read, I think the first thing I want to do is replace the rear end with an 8inch. I've read that there are numerous sources for a bolt-in option. I make no claims to be an expert mechanic (just getting started - this is my first car!) and I need the perfect combination of easy and cheap.

It seems to me that the solution is to find a '66 V8 donor in a junkyard, unbolt the rear end (is that easy?), haul it to where my car is parked, unbolt my current rear end (is that easy?), and bolt in the "new" one (is that easy?). In a perfect world, the new one would have 5 lug axles and working drum brakes.

My car is in PA and I live in NY, so I need to minimize the trips to the junkyard to search. Is there any simple way to find out online if a junkyard has what I'm looking for? Other cheap used sources that anyone knows about?

This is my plan for the rear end, skimpy as it is. To all you veterans out there, help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
25 years ago, the prior owner of my '66 hardtop replaced the original i6 with a 289 from a 1969 mustang (so he said). I think the conversion ended there. The car still has everything else as if it were still an i6 - brakes, rear end, 4 lug axles, worn out steering box etc etc etc.

I just got the car, and I'm trying to decide how to proceed. From what I've read, I think the first thing I want to do is replace the rear end with an 8inch. I've read that there are numerous sources for a bolt-in option. I make no claims to be an expert mechanic (just getting started - this is my first car!) and I need the perfect combination of easy and cheap.

It seems to me that the solution is to find a '66 V8 donor in a junkyard, unbolt the rear end (is that easy?), haul it to where my car is parked, unbolt my current rear end (is that easy?), and bolt in the "new" one (is that easy?). In a perfect world, the new one would have 5 lug axles and working drum brakes.

My car is in PA and I live in NY, so I need to minimize the trips to the junkyard to search. Is there any simple way to find out online if a junkyard has what I'm looking for? Other cheap used sources that anyone knows about?

This is my plan for the rear end, skimpy as it is. To all you veterans out there, help!

Thanks!
Hi,
Obviously, the simplest would to find a donor V8 mustang, as there any number of other V8 parts you can use. Otherwise, you have to arm yourself with the dimensions (drum to drum, or flange to flange) for the axle width, then start calling. There are a number other models that may be dead-on or close. Once you locate a source, then verify the measurements.
I'm sure others will weigh in with dimensions and details. Your conversion project has been beat up here and on other sites I frequent. BTW, "stangnet dot com" has a "sticky" on the I6 to V8 conversion. You should visit.
Good luck!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Indy, that' exactly how I got my 66 coupe back in July. I'm nearly done with the conversion and have a history of posts related to it, if you can search my post history you can trace much of my journey. I'm nearly complete with the conversion, save for the trans. There is quite a lot of things you will have to convert for it to be proper. Send me a PM if you'd like to discuss more. Good luck and welcome to the forums!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts