Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So the 289 (and c4) in my 66 coupe was just rebuilt and we got it put back in the car a couple weeks ago. Every time we have started it since then, the initial noise during and right after cranking is this grinding noise. Its not a very loud grinding just loud enough to cause me to worry. As soon as the engine is running on its own after maybe 5-10 seconds it goes away.

Does this sound like a starter issue? The flexplate is original and the starter we bought new, but it worked fine with no grinding before the rebuild.

Is there anything else that could cause this noise? The 30w HD oil? or maybe metal shavings in the oil as its still breaking in?

Thanks for any inputs

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
A starter issue would be much louder than an internal noise. What you described sounds like an engine that wasn't given an initial lubrication to the cam and lifter interface- hopefully that's not it and it's just a break-in issue.

If it was me I'd change out the oil with 10-30 and a new filter and take it on a nice long trip with lots of varying speed and keep the rpms reasonable. After your next 1000 miles of so change it again, continue to vary your speeds and slowly work up to your max rpms.

"Back in the day" we used to break in car motors like that. The old motors aren't built with the close tolerances of modern engines that require almost no break-in.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Since noises are hard to describe, check alternator belt. When first started they can slip a little due to increased load till batt recovers from starting.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good idea Explorer I'll check that when I get home. Could it be because the belt(s) are new? or too tight?

I'm going to change the oil right away and the filter and refill it and see what happens. I've had it started for about 7 minutes but I can't get to a full 20 because it gets too hot (as I said in my other thread). I probably shouldve changed the oil right after that

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Hello t.mcginley.jr,
Wondering how this issue is going?

You have been given some GREAT advice already
but my GUT tells me you could have an issue with the
inspection plate. Make sure it is not bent when you re-installed the
motor etc.

You could also try this
Put the car in neutral and of course apply e-brake.
Turn the motor over by hand using the center bolt on the
crank (Inside lower pulley).

Not certain BUT I have a feeling it could be a little issue with
the inspection plate (covers lower portion of flex-palte).

It is hard to help without hearing the noise BUT you need to start
eliminating possible causes.
I also know that logic would say if the inspection plate were bent
it would make the noise all the time - -This is Not always the case.

If you have a helper - -see if they can rotate the motor while you are under the
car. See if you can feel the vibration of the noise

Print DAd

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're still getting the noise after changing the oil and filter. The noise still happens every time we start it for at least 5 seconds and then goes away. It sounds like the starter isn't engaging the flywheel right.

I'll check the inspection plate out today as Print Dad suggested.

Its definitely a metallic grinding noise and its fairly loud. As i said it only happens when you turn the key and for a few seconds after that

1 - 6 of 6 Posts