Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone,
I recently pulled off my fender and the pictures are what I found. I wonder if I could get some advice on how to prevent any further rust. Should I try and get this rust off with a wire wheel and then put a coat of paint or primer on it? I have seen several products like "EvapoRust" that claim to change the surface of the medal and get rid of the rust and prevent future rust. Does anyone have experience with that. Or, should I just wash it off and spray a "rubberized undercoating" over it.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
The rust doesn't look that bad! Maybe the pics don't do it justice?

Anyway, it depends on what you're looking to do and how stock you want to keep the car...

FWIW, POR-15 is my rust preventer of choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You don't have near the rust as mine. Looking at your picture, the flange where the cowl meets side panel would be my main concern. Have you run water through the cowl vent to see if drains? It appears that at some point it didn't, or that the windshield is leaking.

Either a plugged up cowl or a bad windshield gasket is causing the problem, which needs to be fixed to stop the problem. Once that's addressed, a wire wheel and an epoxy primer, por-15, Eastwood rust encapsulator, or similiar product, top coated with paint should fix it. That corner by the bottom of the windshield may need replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts