Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want/need to upgrade the steering in my '66. Previous owner cannibalized a 289 out of a '69 and dumped it into my car without doing anything else. The steering box is rusted out, weakened, and needs replacement. I'm considering 2 options:

1) replace steering box with new steering box from flaming river. Seems pretty simple to do (tell me if I'm wrong) and costs about 500 bucks. The issue here is that everything else needs replaced/upgraded for v8 land like tie rods and spindles, and would need to be purchased separately.

2) replace entire steering assembly with a Steeroids bolt-in rack and pinion system. everything comes included for 1500. there's even a youtube video that shows how easy it is...or so they claim.

has anyone had experience with either of these options? what would all you experts suggest given my limited (but growing!) mechanical expertise.

thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've never seen a rusted out steering box, they are cast-iron, 1/4" thick. Even in the northeast rust belt these survive.

Now, if water got inside and trashed the bearing surfaces on the shafts, it's junk.

Unless you are a hard-core modifier, the 4-turn GT box works great. As for links and tie rod ends, you'd have to replace them anyway. I'm betting the stock setup would cost substantially less, be much easier to install, and make you very happy in a street driver.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts