I've got a 67 cougar, with a hi-po 289 in
it, and i'm having some troubles with it shifting. It's a 3 speed
automatic transmission, and it hesitates to shift gears. Especially
when the cars not warmed up. I don't have a rpm guage, but the rpm's
will keep going up, as if it doesn't want to shift. And the car has a
tremendous lack of power/torque. I can shift it manually from 1st to
2nd, but when i go from second to drive, it acts like it's in nuetral,
and doesn't go anywhere. Also, when i take off, and give it gas, i hear
a grinding noise comming from the transmission. Any clues?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds like alot of slippage, sounds like its on the way out the door. A rebuild is probably in your near future.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i highly doubt it may need a rebuilding though, the motor itself has been rebuilt, and only has 8k miles on it, i'd imagine they rebuilt the tranny also. exhaust and everything is new, tranny looks fairly new also. no leaks or anything. you have any ideas on what it could be, other than needing a rebuild?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Could be low on fluied (really low) or it could need the screens changed but if it was recently rebuilt the screens shouldnt need cleaning. The grinding has me thinking its a problem. Did you have the engine rebuilt or was it the last owner? Unless you pay to have the transmission done theyre not going to do it. Your kick down linkage could be messed up or never reinstalled which will burn a transmission up in short order.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car had been taken care of before i owned it. but the fluid was low when i checked it, so i put more fluid in, but the problem still remains.m i'm hoping it's just the vaccuum modulator.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The grinding sound is a definite problem. Even if the bands and modulator not adjusted or functioning right, there shouldn't be any kind of grinding. There may be a sprag assembly going out, the pump or the torque converter vanes are making contact. Did you drop the pan to see if there is any metal shavings? Man, that grinding doesn't sound good. If the fluid was low, have you found where it's going? Makes me wonder how low the previous owner let the trans fluid get.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grinding sound is a definite problem. Even if the bands and modulator not adjusted or functioning right, there shouldn't be any kind of grinding. There may be a sprag assembly going out, the pump or the torque converter vanes are making contact. Did you drop the pan to see if there is any metal shavings? Man, that grinding doesn't sound good. If the fluid was low, have you found where it's going? Makes me wonder how low the previous owner let the trans fluid get.

the grinding doesnt happen unless i try to floor it from a stop. and sometimes when im going to cross an innersection, and give it a little gas, the car will sputter out and nearly stall. but i think thats just an issue with the carb.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
annnnnnnnyone had the same problem with the grinding noise?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, i was wondering if it could be the torque converter locking up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.