Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks :) My recent divorce present to myself was my dream car, the 1967 Fastback, but between paying out my ex and spoiling my new girlfriend, I'm flat broke. lol
So anyway, I'm not gonna have any money to put into the restoration of my Mustang untill the beginning of next year, however, I still want to make a start on the project.

My father is a Panel Beater (auto body repairer in the U.S.?), and he has the tools and the space to make a start on the project at his house. Now I'm totally new to this kind of thing, but dad has 40-odd years experience with auto body repair, so while I'm slowly climbing back up the financial ladder, I figured we could do all the body work now, and begin stripping the engine to prepare for the re-build.
The point of this post is to call upon the experience of all you Mustang fans who have been through the restoration process, and ask this...

What are the first steps to beginning a restoration..??

My guess is to strip the interior, remove the engine, strip the paint and do the body work. With my dads experience and tools, these steps wont cost me anything, and should see me through untill I'm in the money and can purchase all my new suspension/steering/brakes etc...

Anyway, I'm all ears to any info and advice you can shed on this. Thanks in advance to all your answers :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
I think it depends on the condition of your car and what has been done to it so far. I think you should pay attention to the suspension, brakes, and steering componetents ( tie rod ends, bushings, etc). My theory is that if you have a beautiful car with a hot running engine, and your suspension, brakes, or steering fails, you are screwed.

Those parts are usually fairly inexpensive too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.