Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in restoring a 1967 Mustang. The body is in excellent condition, no rust, the interior needs re upolstering, new carpet and minor cosmetic things on the inside the engine needs tunning and probably some parts of it could be replaced. The last time it drove was 5 years ago but its been sitting in the back yard at a friends house since. My question is, is it worth restoring and how much on a guesstimate would it cost to get it to good running condition? I figured Id get it to good running condition then over the years slowly get it to show car quality.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Is it worth restoring!?!?! What blaspheme is this!?!?! Of course it's worth it, it's just a matter of how much time it will take. How much you can spend/month (or year) will determine how long it will take. Just remember the Golden Rules...

1) GO SLOW! The quick fix is rarely the right one. Don't sacrifice quality for the sake of expediency.

2) When in doubt...ASK!!! Forums like this are the place to do so. It sounds like you have already learned this one. It's much easier to feel silly than it is to fix a mistake your ego created. You can't be expected to know everything so there really is not a stupid question.

3) Make a budget and timeline and STICK TO IT!!! It doesn't matter if it's weekly, monthly or yearly...just stay to it.

4) Most importantly...HAVE FUN!!! If you don't enjoy it then what's the point?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Of course it's worth it! No rust? Must be nice. That's where most of the difficult work is, repairing rust. After 5 years it shouldn't take too much to get it going.

A brake job, oil change, tranny fluid change, new coolant, possibly a radiator hose replacement, fan belt, battery and a carb rebuild and you should be on your way. The ignition wires and points and plugs may be OK, just check the point gap. A complete tune up is best.

As far as cost, it depends if you can do the brakes yourself. You must make sure that the brakes are redone for safety's sake. The rubber seals and hoses in the system after 5 years are probably deterioriated to an unsafe degree. Tires are probably dry rotted. I'd say about $800 at the minimum. It's really hard to say because major components like radiator, suspension parts, water pump, fuel pump (which has a rubber diaphram) may need replacement. Just make sure that the safety related components are a priority before driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.