Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to purchase parts for my dads 67 (V8). We are starting by rebuilding the front suspension. I started looking at parts and came to the conclusion that I am not sure what I need. I am looking for advice on what parts are critical, such as do we need to replace the sway bar or just add new bushings. This is our first project and it now seems kind of overwhelming. I appreciate any and all knowledge shared.

My original plan was to get new tie rods, idler arms, springs, bump stops, drum hubs and drums/shoes. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
If a part doesn't have a socket or moving part to it you generally shouldn't need to replace it = swaybar >just the bushings/endlinks, pitman arm, centerlink are the ones I can think of. Otherwise depending on how the rubber looks or unknown age most pretty much replace everything all at once or in stages. You can get MOOG tie rods, etc. at some local parts stores, I'd suggest MOOG or McQuay Norris for those. You'll want to look at the condition of your Upper control arms UCA (shaft gets worn out/cups loose-no grease), lower controls arms LCA (ball joint one end, bushing other end), strut rod bushings (rods should be fine) and spring perches if you're doing springs.

This is a good starter article for steering/suspension:
DazeCars, Suspension 101

There are a few upgrades that aren't expensive that are worth doing even on a 'stock' car like the Shelby/Arning 1" drop which will improve steering and road holding by putting the tires flatter. You just have to be sure to have the car aligned to the Shelby specs in the article.
Jon

·
Registered
278 Posts
With regards to spring perches, I highly recommend the OpenTracker roller spring perches for improved handling and driving manners

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks, I am going to look through the links and the referenced manufacturers to get a proper list of parts. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts