Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is using a Fastrax camber/caster gauge as easy as it sounds? My understanding is a '67 caster is adjusted by turning the strut rod nut, and camber is adjusted at the LCA eccentric nut. Toe is easy enough to check with a tape measure. My garage floor is nice and flat/level and the Fastrax can be "zeroed" even if my floor wasn't level. Is home alignment really that easy to do as long as you have good tools like the Fastrax or Longacre gauges? I figure after two alignments, the tool will have paid for itself.....provided I use them correctly :yup:. This is not a racer or even a daily driver. More of a "one day a week" commuter car and a weekend driver.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Section 3 of the shop manual tells you how to make the adjustments. I believe the '67 is still like the earlier models and uses shims behind the upper arms.

If you understand what you are doing and have a way to measure the results alignment isn't all that difficult. Since the shims affect both caster/camber it can be a pain to get them correct though.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I used the Fastrax t set mine up. It took awhile to get it right but it was accurate.

There are some Youtube Videos on how to set it on my webpage:
Alignment

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
The '67 does not use shims on the UCA factory, some add them to gain more camber I believe but not needed for a street car. I plan to do my own also when my car is running again, I saved a bunch of information from the Longacre website and others. I also installed adj. strut rods and the LCA camber kit so it will be set and cannot loosen:
Opentracker Racing Products - Lower Control Arm Camber Kit

I hope that with these two changes I will be able to zero in my alignment easier, faster and more precisely and it will have less change during suspension motion. Caster changes due to bushing deflection in the strut rods during braking and accel. The LCA egg shaped eccentrics have been known to loosen and move changing alignment.
Jon

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jonk, the reasons you state about why alignments change is why I'm debating whether or not to purchase an alignment tool. I watched a Youtube video on using the Fastrax and it looked pretty darn easy. And not having to use shims to adjust camber on a '67 makes it even easier (or so I hope).
Anyone out there get the chance to compare the Longacre and Fastrax?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I figure on these old cars alignment should be checked/corrected every 6mos.-year depending on how much you drive and I'll need to pay for alignments over and over if I don't learn. I had trouble finding anyone that knew how to properly align anyway, first shop didn't even adjust the strutrods when I had new bushings. Then it was difficult to get them to set it to my shelby drop specs vs. stock in their computer...
Jon

1 - 6 of 6 Posts