Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are all awesome and I have greatly appreciated your help during this project. I've had another thread going trying to identify the t-4 tranny that I just pulled from my car. While I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to do a $1400 rebuild on that tranny I want to explore my options with a t-5 conversion. The car is a 1967 coupe 289 and will be freshly rebuilt with new steering linkage. Rear end was replaced 5 years ago and I honestly can't remember what was put in. I need to check and see. A buddy did it and all I remember is he said he took out the stock one and put in a smaller number ratio that would be, as he said, "more zippy driving around town." Not sure what he put in.

Anyway, moving on. Suppose I were to drop a t-5 into this pony car. I've been reading around trying to find a forum that already answers this question, but I can't find one talking about a manual t-4 to t-5. Everyone makes it seem like it's as simple as just changing out the tranny and viola! But if I go to ModernDriveLine.com and go through their process they make it seem like there are A LOT of parts involved. New speedo cable, new crossmember, new bellhousing, new clutch linkage, etc etc.

Let's say I want to try and do this as budget friendly, yet do right. What do I need to do? Can I reuse my old clutch linkage and bell housing? CJ Pony Parts has a t-5 conversion kit for a 4-speed bell housing that only contains the adapter plate, crossmember, tranny mount rubber, and drive shaft slip yoke. That makes it appear as though that's all you need. SO why would I want to buy all the other stuff? If I keep my old bell housing can I keep my clutch linkage exactly the same? Same flywheel? Same clutch (I'm buying a new one anyway so if I have to get a new one for a t-5 then I can). I know that switching to a cable clutch is beneficial, but I'd like to keep the extraneous costs down as much as possible considering I'll be having to buy a new tranny. Also... ideas on where to get a decent priced t-5? I don't see what's wrong with getting a good rebuilt one rather than the $1300 for a brand new one. I guess this is all just a little confusing since some guys say that all you really have to do is drop a t-5 in there with a spacer plate and you're finished. And them some say you need this and that and.... you get the point. I'm fairly new to all this. I'm mechanically minded, but this is the first time I've ever pulled an engine and tranny and I'm learning as I go.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Using the adapter plate with the original style clutch will work just fine. Many are converting from an automatic, or have heavy wear on the original clutch linkage. The cable clutch conversions and the hydraulic kits are easier to drive and allow you to use the 10.5 inch performance clutch kits.

The original speedometer cable will fit IF it will reach. It will likely be too short. If you choose a T-5 with an 8-tooth internal speedometer gear you may need to open it and replace it with a 7-tooth gear in order to find the right speedo gear combination to get it to calibrate.

You will need a cross member, but many fabricate their own.

The drive shaft may need to be shortened a bit. You will have to measure.

Finding a good used T-5 is virtually impossible. They are old and beat up. The new one (T5Z) is popular for that reason and it comes with the 7-tooth internal speedometer gear. As far as rebuilt goes, get one from a reputable rebuilder that specializes in the T-5. You will get a better end product than from most local shops that don't know the tricks, and don't realize that the cheap gears made in Taiwan are inferior.

Oh, the adapter plate costs more than a good 86-93 bell housing!
But... The factory linkage is PUSH and the 86-93 is PULL. So, converting to the cable clutch is a good way to solve that. The 86-93 bell housing can be converted to PUSH by adding the fulcrum kit. As you can see, there are many ways to go!

I hope this helps.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts