Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just bought a new Scott Drake air cleaner (similar to the Hi-Po open style chrome air cleaner) for my 1967 Mustang, inline 6. It's been running great and sounds OK, except every time I accelerate the engine sounds like it's sucking air into it. Is this normal due to the larger, more open air cleaner? Maybe I'm still used to the sound of the constricted snorkel air cleaner, but the sucking air sound doesn't sound what the car should sound like. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
You have a one barrel carburetor. That's the sound of a single restrictive venturi. The OEM air cleaner was designed to muffle that sound.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
No matter how many barrels, they will all make that sucking sound when drawing in a lot of air. Some car makers don't call it an air cleaner at all, they call it a 'silencer' for that very reason.

Does your new one draw in more air making the sound louder? Not necessarily, its just that you can more easily hear the noise since its not as well muffled as Yadkin mentioned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I never really thought about how the old air cleaner would muffle the sound, but thinking about it all it makes sense....Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts