Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been upgrading my mustang with a rebuilt inline 6 and been thinking about upgrading the rear end on the mustang. I believe it has the stock 2.73 gears in the back which makes acceleration pretty sluggish, so I was wondering what would happen if I added a 8 inch rear end to the car. What are the pros and cons for doing this? I want the car to remain 4 lug all the way around, so if I bought an old 8 inch from a v8 mustang and just swapped out the axles for my 4 lug axles, would they be compatible?

Any input would be great, thanks!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
There is really no gain to be had by this. The 6 is a great torque engine and if the rebuild was done correctly and you enhance the ignition timing/advance & carbs, it will really wake it up from what you are use to.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
There are several upgrades to the intake and exhaust on the I6 that will help, the worst things about the original design, is the intake sits right over the exhaust, so the heat is good for cold weather and mpg, but sucks for power, the second problem is the runner length for each cylinder, if I remember right the outer cylinders run a little lean compared to the inners. Plus the one barrel carb and ignition advance curve. So if you do some looking on performance upgrades, like headers, intakes, 2 barrel and 4 barrel carbs, there are plenty out there, the biggest drawback is the lack of cubic inches. I would double check the ratio on your rear axle, in addition there are a bunch of Fords and Mercurys that used the 4 bolt wheel pattern, cougars, granadas, and they had v8 engines in them, they may be too wide, I doubt if your axles will interchange with a 8" rear axle, and you could look for a ring and pinion set for a 7.5" differential, if that is what you have. My 2 cts. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
the axles wont interchange. you can change the gear ratio in your rearend. I have a 3.20 rearend out back in spare parts pile. it had good pickup if I remember correctly with my 200.

·
Registered
101 Posts
about the only thing you'll add with the 8" is weight. the biggeset drawback to the stock 6 is the cast intake being part of the head. if you jump off and go with the 3 2V carb setup, you'll being doing a lot of machine work and such.
then you'll want to add a header. six cyl. headers sound kinda "off" check them out on youtube to see if that sounds good to you.
you'll spend more money for six upgrades, which can be done, but you'll still be one peg behind a 289. be different? sure. spend more money, definitely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts