Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all,
i have had this issue for a while now and hope someone can help. when my engine is warmed up and stays idling for more than 15-20 mins it starts to go over the normal line to about two thirds,i realise that the car is stationary but this also happens when i swithach it off after a drive the temp will be fine turn off engine temp goes over to high,is this ok? i have recore radiator new thermostat new hoses belts all ok and i run a shroud i am out of ideas anyone come across this? help appreciated as always thanks:scratchchin

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi a 1967 289 with comp 268h and afr 165 heads,incidently it did the same thing with the original iron heads thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i don't think it would be that as it was happening before i changed the heads and the car ran for three years fine no oil or coolant loss good compression. ??

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think those fans are clutch driven I think that is ur problem my uncle used to have that problem with his nova maybe see about going with a electric fan it would free up some more horse power

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) Having the gauge peg after you shut the car off is perfectly normal. The coolant isn't flowing and the residual heat of the block equalizes throughout the motor. Once you start the motor, the temperature should come down fairly quickly, though.
For it to start creeping up at low RPMs that's frequently either a restriction of some sort, like a slight kink in the lower hose, a clogged radiator, a thermostat that isn't opening all the way, something like that, or, the coolant level is low. If you bought your thermostat at an autoparts store and it's a Stant or a Murray or something, that could very easily be the problem. They aren't really all that they could be. :nogrinner I've never had a problem with the Motorcraft thermostats, which are still readily available at any Ford dealership parts department. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I see the same thing in my 67. I believe it is due to the fact that the old fans just aren't as efficient as the newer clutch fans. I had mine out today for a while in 80 degree weather. I was driving in moderate city conditions 45 mph, red lights, etc. The needle was just a bit over midpoint most of the day. I have a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, etc. so I know nothing is clogged. I stopped to get gas and when I restarted the car the needle pegged but it went back down to normal after I pulled away from the pumps (residual heat like Veronica said). I stopped it various times over the course of the day and it did the same thing. I would say as long as it doesn't run up against the H while you are driving or overheat, you should be OK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts