Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... first, I don't have a lot of experience with engines, so please bear with me. I have a '67 Mustang convertible with a 289 engine. It had supposedly been rebuilt but due to a variety of reasons, sat in the garage without being run. I've recently been trying to get it ready to sell. It's unfortunately been a challenge trying to figure out what's going on, so I'll give a quick summary with as many details as I can--some may or may not be relevant:

• Car sat with a flat battery for a few years with gasoline in the tank
  • After charging the battery, I got it started, but it ran really rough so I'd put in fresh gas trying to get the old stuff out
  • The car has been backfiring through the carb
  • The car has started to make a loud "chirping" noise (this is the primary issue I'm having). It is constant--from cranking the motor when starting it through running at idle, etc and varies with engine speed. All I can describe it as is it sounds metallic and really sounds like a large chirping bird (I've never been good at describing what problems sound like).
I'm trying to figure out what this chirping noise is. I removed all of the belts so it's not anything related to that. I've had the starter replaced so it's not that. Tuesday I took it to a local mechanic who has tried to diagnose it but seems as lost as me--he's said nothing is hitting the flywheel and it sounds to him like it's inside the engine. He did mention a dent in the oil pan, but I can't see what that would do to cause it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Try another mechanic? Sounds can be tough so sometimes more heads stand you a better chance of finding it.

I recently had two noise issues on two different vehicles. The first was on my E150. A rattling noisewas coming from the front of the engine. Turns out it was not. It was coming from the rear of the engine. The flex plate was almost entirely cracked all around the 6 holes that bolt it to the flywheel.

The latest was my '65 Mustang. It intermittantly had a sound like a bucket of bolts rattling. The only place we could find any irregular noise, using a stethescope, was off the top of the fuel pump. Many months later (few miles) the lower crank pulley was rising up and rubbing on the water pump pulley throwing off a shower of sparks. Of three bolts that hold it on, one was gone, one was broken and the third was loose. This had been happening over a period of time but one minute you could hear nothing and the next this two pound pulley was about to launch off into the fan, radiator and who knows where else.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi there
That sounds like a frustrating problem. Well, if the car has a manual transmission, one place it to look would be the Throw Out Bearing. The chirping noise typically only happens when you press the clutch, but if the bearing is gone you would hear it while idling as well. The other place to look for is the water pump (though that should have stopped when you removed the belts). Finally, it may be the distributor is not seated properly or needs to be lubed. That would make sense since the car is backfiring and the timing is not set properly.

These are some ideas, I hope they help.
Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try another mechanic? Sounds can be tough so sometimes more heads stand you a better chance of finding it.

I recently had two noise issues on two different vehicles. The first was on my E150. A rattling noisewas coming from the front of the engine. Turns out it was not. It was coming from the rear of the engine. The flex plate was almost entirely cracked all around the 6 holes that bolt it to the flywheel.

The latest was my '65 Mustang. It intermittantly had a sound like a bucket of bolts rattling. The only place we could find any irregular noise, using a stethescope, was off the top of the fuel pump. Many months later (few miles) the lower crank pulley was rising up and rubbing on the water pump pulley throwing off a shower of sparks. Of three bolts that hold it on, one was gone, one was broken and the third was loose. This had been happening over a period of time but one minute you could hear nothing and the next this two pound pulley was about to launch off into the fan, radiator and who knows where else.
Thanks very much for the reply--I'm going with your first comment and finding a new mechanic. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi there
That sounds like a frustrating problem. Well, if the car has a manual transmission, one place it to look would be the Throw Out Bearing. The chirping noise typically only happens when you press the clutch, but if the bearing is gone you would hear it while idling as well. The other place to look for is the water pump (though that should have stopped when you removed the belts). Finally, it may be the distributor is not seated properly or needs to be lubed. That would make sense since the car is backfiring and the timing is not set properly.

These are some ideas, I hope they help.
Good luck
It's an automatic and I believe the mechanic I had it at looked over the distributor (in addition to me not finding anything with that either). Thanks very much for your help, though. Hopefully I'll get it figured out! :yelpleased:

·
Registered
2 Posts
289 churp

mine is doing the same thing. it turns out it was coming from num 1 intake rocker and pushrod. the pushrod makes a churp/whistle when it rubs the guideplate. i think it was adjusted wrong and caused the rocker to eventually make it over to the retainer because the pushrod bent. i need to switch to chrome molys i guess. anyhow, it domed over the valve stem and keeps wanting to move the rocker. currently trying to fix it without removing head. i would look under your valve covers and check everything out. if thats it, it could cause big valve train problems. hope this helps man.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Last time I encountered that set of parameters, it turned out to be the old gas I was trying to use. When it burned, it turned into glue and stuck up the lifters, bearings, wrist pins, etc. Sadly, I had to disassemble the motor, clean up everything, have a bit of machine work done, and re-assemble.
Also created a "birdy" once when I stupidly used guide plates on an early 65-66 head that had slotted push rod guide holes. Two guiding systems created a conflict and shoved the push rod against the guide plate, thus causing the squeak.
Best,
Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
churp churp

yeah i used the guide plates cause i had screw in studs machined in and the guide holes in the heads were a bit worn. hopefully i have it fixed now

1 - 8 of 8 Posts