Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Just need some advice on choosing the right internals for my 351. I'm lookin at pushin 450 to 600hp. as long as I'm in that range that would help. I will be strokin it to a 393. Will the stock rods be able to handle that amount of power? Also wats the highest compression ratio I can push on pump gas. This engine will be going into a 67 mustang...weekend driver....but also will be going to the track. What camshaft should I go with? I would like that rough aggressive idle.....but also somethin that can handle high rpms. Any advice would be helpful.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Your definatly going to need an all forged bottom end for over 450 horsepower. Id get it stroked to a 408 if i was you, cant go wrong with displacement. Since this is a very high performance application, id go ahead and get a custom made cam for the motor. Just tell the shop what you want to do with it. Good luck with the build, and make sure the rest of the car can take the power.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hell just go 427 like i did. Yes get better rods. You dont need a custom cam just talk to people about a good cam. I dont have the specs of mine with me right now. but im running 11:1 compression. I have 430hp to the ground so you can give or take 450+ at crank. My timming is retard alittle to help on gas so im not getting maxium performance full time or the number would be higher. You best have good heads. Are you going to get it converted to 4-bolt mains?

·
Registered
527 Posts
I would go with forged rods too. It's hard to suggest a cam with the info we have. You need to be thinking about your gears, carb, transmission, intake, heads, pistons, rpm range you want it to work in etc. All of that stuff works together. I have a Comp Cams Extreme Energy cam. You can get a really streetable cam with a rough idle and big rpm range.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts