Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok im sure this question has been brought up before, i was wondering if its possible to change alternator from a stock V8 1967 mustang to a 1989 5.0 HO alternator.would it match up to the stock brakets and the how would u modify the wiring, can it be changed over? Any help guys thanx.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
that's not the alternator you want..it's not worth the swap.

You want a 3g alternator, aka a 130 amp alternator. It'll push twice the power of your original one.

94+ v6 mustangs had them, and maybe some of the v8's.

also, I got mine of a late 80's 3.0 ford taurus....

straight up bolt on. I had to slightly enlarge one of the mounting holes on the alt, and put a washer behind the v belt pulley..but other than that, everything lined right up.

use a 4 gauge 200 amp fused setup from paperformance for the main connection

·
Registered
149 Posts
Go (1) wire 100 amp alternator and be done with it! I did it on my 67 coupe. It will bolt right up (no changes). All you need is a 10 gauge from the alt to the battery!!! DB electric Part# 10SI-chrome.:bigthumbsup
HTH

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
94+ v6 mustangs, perhaps some v8's

and the 3.0 older taurus cars from the late 80's/early 90's.

$25 from a junkyard + $25 or so for the harness with the fuse from pa performance. Run a 12v switched on, and the third wire to the starter solonoid, and done.....130 amps for $50

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do u happen to kno the part # for that harness. I think i might pick up a 3.0 taurus ALT sum time this week . Thanx for the usefull info alot

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok well i scored me a free 89 5.0 alt so how do i wire it up. I need my car back on the road. I kno its not a 130 amp alt but it well hv to do me for now.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
If you have an ammeter, be sure to by-pass it. You can't run 90 - 130 amps through a 60 amp meter without starting a fire.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i got the 3g alt and the car wont start. I chk the battery and nothing it wont even crank over. When i put it on the the on postion the car blinker turns on and then fades away. Any sugestions. Pz i need the car back on the road. Thanx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts