Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first time posting here. My 1967 mustang coupe has lost brake fluid and the shuttle valve has moved and activated the dash "brake" light. Is there anything special that I need to do in order to reset the shuttle valve? I know that I need to replace the fluid and bleed brakes as required. Any wisdom. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I'm assuming that the fluid leak has been repaired. The shuttle valve (Distribution valve) can be reset by applying a sudden and firm pressure to the brake pedal. The spool should then recenter itself and the light will go out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
That doesn't always work. If the system has had moisture in it the valve will often stick. You can try to have someone push the brake pedal; while you bleed the other side (front or rear). when the light goes off, close the bleeder valve. I have one now that even this doesn't work. I will probabl;y need to takle it off and clean or replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. Repairing the leak (right rear brake line chaffed) and refilling and bleeding the brakes will be my chore for this weekend. Just glad to hear the valve should recenter itself.

·
Registered
233 Posts
years ago

Hi and Welcome!:wavey my name is dne' and I live in Houston.
Years ago, I worked as a professional mechanic in the mid 70's and worked primarily domestic cars. We encounted the brake light syndrome all the time. I learned from a guy that worked at a Lincoln Mercury dealer for years, how to get the light out. But keep in mind at that time, the cars weren't 40+ years old! lol When you have repaired the lines, I generally had pretty good luck just by gravity bleeding the system(just fill the MC, then go to the rear wheel cylinders and open the bleeders and allow brake fluid to dribble out(watch your level of fluid in the Mc). Once all air is displaced from the system, you may try the "Stomp" trick to get the equilization valve to centralize thus allowing equal pressure on either side of the valve.
However, if you just can't get the light out from the stomp method~ try this: You'll need someone to push on the brake pedal and you should be the brake pedal pusher. Have someone crack open the rear line of the Master Cylinder, YOU very gently push the brake pedal to the floor~ I said Slowly! When the pedal is to the floor, push just a little harder and feel/listen for a click~ the valve would have shifted~ then have the person tighten the line that he/she loosened. Sometimes it may require opening the other port of the MC to accomplish this.
Hope this helps.
dne'

I can't take credit for this photo, I found it on the internet, but it is the same photo that is in my shop manual~! You can compare the illustrations to the other and see how the little rod can cause the light to illuminate when air is introduced into the system. Once hydraulic equalization has been established on each side of the valve, the valve is happy!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Dne , Thanks for that info and the picture of the diff vlv cutaway. That picture clears up some confusion I had as to how that system was activated. I have only had the car for about 2 months so I am trying to get educated on some of the systems. P.S. any advise for a good shop manual & where to buy?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Shop manual time?

As for a shop manual, I bought mine from a local supplier of Mustang parts, Mustang mania, but I'd be pretty sure that most Mustang stores would have the manual, or can order it. It's about 50 bucks but well worth it! If you don't have a favorite Mustang store, I do most of my business with laurelmountainmustang ,and deal primarily with Kevin. If I can be of help ever, just write! I can always use another Mustang buddy!:bigthumbsup
dne'
[email protected] or fixing to do away with aol, and will be [email protected] :wavey

1 - 8 of 8 Posts