Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, first time posting here. I'm pretty new to vintage Mustangs, but I've been trying to learn as much as I can about them. I'm looking to purchase a 1967 Ford Mustang, but there are a few things I'm curious about and would like some input on.

I've been scouring Craiglist for awhile and finally came across a Mustang I like and am very close to purchasing it. Based on the VIN number it is definitely a 1967, but a few parts of the car are reflective of the 1968 model such as:

• No horizontal line in the front grille
  • No "FORD" in block letters on the hood
  • The side panels are the same as the 1968 model
  • Steering wheel appears to be the 1968 models
  • Door handles (inside) are not levers like on the 67 model.

However, like the 67 model, there are no side reflectors on the rear of the car and there are no shoulder seat belts. Also, as previously mentioned it has a 67 VIN.

So now I'm not sure what is going on. My question is, were late model 1967 Mustangs visually identical to the 1968 models? I can't figure out if towards the end of the 67 model run they started carrying over some of the 68 stylings. If not that, then the car must have been a 1967 model and was restored with parts from a 1968 model.

I've attached a whole bunch of pictures for you to look through. The car is absolutely gorgeous looking. There is no rust anywhere on the car, not even underneath. It has a new 289 v8 engine with 4 barrel edelbrock carb, new transmission, new electrical system, new alternator, etc, etc. It simply drove perfectly.

I'm getting the car for a steal ($6000) due to a discrepancy in the title. The VIN number on the title didn't match the VIN number on the car, but no worries, I've already run everything by the DMV and there are no problems getting a new title. The original VIN on the car hasn't been reported stolen or totaled, so everything seems to be fine there. The guy I'm buying the car from is also a very trustworthy person, so I have no concerns.

What are your thoughts on this car? Should I be worried by these discrepancies? Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Two questions: what is the date code on the data plate and what do you mean by a "title discrepancy?"

Hagerty's online price guide lists 1967 289 coupes at $9700 for drivers, so $6000 seems way below market on this car.

It's not unusual for parts/model items to bleed over model years. My 1965 (built Sep 64) has many "64 1/2" style items although it is a month into the "65" model year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Two questions: what is the date code on the data plate and what do you mean by a "title discrepancy?"

Hagerty's online price guide lists 1967 289 coupes at $9700 for drivers, so $6000 seems way below market on this car.

It's not unusual for parts/model items to bleed over model years. My 1965 (built Sep 64) has many "64 1/2" style items although it is a month into the "65" model year.
1. The VIN number is 7T01T273430. So that makes it the 273,430 produced correct? Is this what you're looking for or something else?

2. The guy was originally asking $8,500. By title discrepancy I'm referring to a mistake on the title he had for the car. The VIN on the title he had did not match the VIN of the actual car. Now, I realize this is suspicious, but I've done my due diligence. I've taken his bill of sale and the bill of sale he received to the DMV. They said there would be no problem in getting a new title with the proper VIN as the VIN doesn't report the car ever being stolen or totaled. He had told me if I wanted to wait until he got the title cleared up I could, or buy it without the title and just a bill of sale for $6000.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If DMV says it's ok then it sounds ok. The data plate should be on the driver's door; it'll give you some more information about the car. Attached is a picture of my 65's data plate. Take those numbers and run'em through a data plate decoder such as found here: Classic Mustang Dataplate Decoder

and you should have the exact date of manufacture plus some other useful information.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
By the way, I think that's a gorgeous car, but then I'm partial to Mustangs!!
Thanks! It looked great in pictures, but when I came around the corner and saw it in person I couldn't believe it. I know this guy got a bunch of calls, but I caught the listing right after he posted it, so I feel very lucky with this find. Thank you for the help!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I do not see a whole lot of things on this car that show it is a '67. But lots of things show it is a '68.

First, make sure the 3 VINs match. Under the hood on left side (you can see it in your photo), the door tag, and the legal one on the dash on the RIGHT side if it is a 68. There should be no signs of welding near the VINs. You do not fully explain the problem with the title, just a vague remarks it is not right.

The things I see that say '68 are:
front side markers
side scoops
hub caps
gas cap
steering wheel
door handles fold down and no third finger on vent latches

The car was the 173,430 produced of that body style. The numbers start with 100001.

The VIN you give shows this was a T code engine, a 200 I6. Not the V8 shown.

There were 3 types of back side markers for '68. The very early ones had a sticker, next a bolt on reflector, then very late a lighted unit. So it could have been removed during a repaint.

I looks like this car was repaired using a donor car. You need more info as to the differences between a '67 and '68 that are not the normal clues. Veronica should know these.

Post some good photos of all the VINs and the door plate.

Someone did a lot of work on this car and it looks great. Too great for the price. You need to sort this out and maybe get this car reborn into a new life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not see a whole lot of things on this car that show it is a '67. But lots of things show it is a '68.

First, make sure the 3 VINs match. Under the hood on left side (you can see it in your photo), the door tag, and the legal one on the dash on the RIGHT side if it is a 68. There should be no signs of welding near the VINs. You do not fully explain the problem with the title, just a vague remarks it is not right.

The things I see that say '68 are:
front side markers
side scoops
hub caps
gas cap
steering wheel
door handles fold down and no third finger on vent latches

The car was the 173,430 produced of that body style. The numbers start with 100001.

The VIN you give shows this was a T code engine, a 200 I6. Not the V8 shown.

There were 3 types of back side markers for '68. The very early ones had a sticker, next a bolt on reflector, then very late a lighted unit. So it could have been removed during a repaint.

I looks like this car was repaired using a donor car. You need more info as to the differences between a '67 and '68 that are not the normal clues. Veronica should know these.

Post some good photos of all the VINs and the door plate.

Someone did a lot of work on this car and it looks great. Too great for the price. You need to sort this out and maybe get this car reborn into a new life.
Alright so there is no door plate on the drivers door, but I will check for the VIN on the dash next time I go out to see the car, upon which I will probably buy it.

There were definitely no signs of welding near/on the VIN under the hood and overall the car looks like it was rebuilt near perfectly since all the lines on the car are straight.

It does have a new engine in it, but I had already known that from the listing. It's a 289 V8 with a new edelbrock 4 barrel carb.

The guy I'm buying the car from is active in the military with a new child. I know for a fact he isn't selling me a stolen car considering the ramifications for doing so. He did tell me he didn't know much about vintage Mustangs and that he had bought it from a pasteur who had it since 1986 (have the bill of sale) who also didn't know much about Mustangs. His wife is making him get rid of the car since they need the cash for the baby, which all together, might explain the low price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
EVERYTHING I see on this car screams '68. Seats, steering wheel, quaters, front markers, gauge cluster, gas cap, & so on & so on. This car has everything that makes a '68 different then a '67. If you can see the car in person then I'd check the vin on the dash & the aprons before anything else. It's not uncommon for the doors to be replaced & a lot of times the vin isn't swapped during the process. It's one thing to see a few '68 parts on a '67 but this one seems to have ALL of the '68 parts on it... just seems a little suspicious to me.
Again the vin plate on top of the passenger side of the dash (if it's still there) & the vin on top of the aprons between the second & third fender bolt back if I remember right.
Wish you luck with it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If this really is a 67, then someone did a LOT of work swapping 68 items onto it. Either it was wrecked and they used a 68 donor car to fix it or they already had this car and used a 68 donor to restore this car because they prefer the 68 trim items over the 67.

Starting in 68 there was a metal ID plate with the vin stamped into it that was located at the base of the windshield on the passenger side. Other years it was on the drivers side.

The door panels and seat covers are even 68. As far as the side marker reflectors- 68 Mustangs built prior to Feb 15,1968 are equipped with a rectangular red reflector with color keyed bezel inserted into a cut out in the rear of the quarter panel. Cars made after that date are equipped with a bolt on red reflector with oval shaped chrome trim. Later quarter panels do not contain the cut out. Look inside the trunk on the quarter panels to see if there is evidence of the bolt holes being filled in.
Also the gauges look to be 68 as there is a difference in where the fuel gauge is.

Like others have said, compare the vin between the title, door tag and either base of windshield or in engine compartment.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
The first set of federal auto safety laws were proposed in December 3, 1966 and were all supposed to take effect on September 1, 1967, which would have been the start of the the '68 model year. However, most of the rules were delayed by congress. FMVSS 108 required side marker lights on any new car and it became effective in the US on January 1, 1968. Being the 173,430th produced, if it was a '68 model I don't think it could have been expected to have been sold before the legal requirement for side markers took effect which would say it was supposed to be a '67. Either that, or illegally altered to remove federally required safety equipment.

FMVSS 115 which required visible VINs was not one of the first group of rules. Ford guessed at what it was going to require and initially got it wrong by putting the tag on the passenger's side. :) They weren't required by any federal law for MY67 or 68. When the law did become effective on January 1, 1969, it required the VIN to be readable through the left side of the windshield opening for a person with 20/20 vision. The rule was finally decided and published in July 1968 but everyone sort of knew what the answer was going to be so they switched to a left side (i.e. driver's side in the US) VIN.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts