Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in the process of going through my 1967 Mustang (which was my first car that I ever bought in way back 1977). It has a 289 with a stock 2 barrel and headers. I am rebuilding the engine and am going to put in a Comp Cam Nostalgia 271+ Cam, and an Edelbrock Torker intake with a Holly 600 Double Pumper. The Transmission is shot and I would like to put a 1970's or 1980's C-6 transmission in it to replace the original C-4. Can anyone think of any reason why this won't work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the C-4 strong enough for a "souped up" motor? I thought they used the C-6's with the 289 HiPo, so I guess I was thinking that it must be stronger.

·
Registered
751 Posts
for what you are doing with your motor the c4 will stand up for a long time, look into a transgo kit if you want to help it last :bigthumbsup
most guys will till ya that c6 will give out before a c4

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
No only mustang to get a c6 was big blocks and clevelands.The 289 used a c4 you can build a c4 to take a ton of power a lot of drag racers use them still.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Is the C-4 strong enough for a "souped up" motor? I thought they used the C-6's with the 289 HiPo, so I guess I was thinking that it must be stronger.
In stock trim with a TransGo 47-2 kit and a 67 - 69 valve body swap your transmission should easily handle your 289 up to 300 - 350 HP. If you swap in a 71 to 79 C4 from a V8 car and use the 40-2 TransGo kit You can put 350 to it contiuously without a problem if you keep it cool. Max temp should be 170-180F

·
Registered
236 Posts
sorry, Ford made a small block C6 that mates up to a 302/351W and a cleveland..............they had two C6's sb & BB. FE&385 series.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'd stick with the C4. If you want to invest around a grand, you can go to somebody like PA or TCI and get a slightly built street C4. They are rated to handle around 450 HP. That's a lot cheaper than what a place like Aamco chnages for a rebuild.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found that Performance Automatic will sell the Super Streeter C4 for $1115.00, but that comes without the torque convertor or bell housing. Would the ones that are on my stock mustang work with this C4?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
A small block C6 is almost bullet proof ,compaired to a cC4....less moving parts.
Ken,
The C4 and C6 use similar power flow but the C6 has a low/ reverse clutch instead of a band. The C6 has more parts because of the clutch replcing the band.

The C6 case has a large pan that opens the case up to twisting under extreme torque. I have seen many more C6s with broken cases than C4s.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.