Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Taken from driver side under belly - gas leaking (see streak blur in the middle)
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Tread Automotive lighting

The highest origin point that I can easily reach of the leak is visible at the top center left of this image where the sheen is.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Gas Bumper

It looks like the leak is at the northeast corner of the transmission to block spacer
Organism Font Motor vehicle Art Auto part

I found the name of this part seems to be the Transmission to block spacer: Transmission to Block Spacer Plates (1969 - 1973 302) : C9DZ-7007-A

Questions
What are the names of the components where this leak is?
Why would it be gas leaking and not gear/trans/engine oil?
How can I figure out where this leak is originating?
Any ideas on repairs? :)

It seems to be worst (very active dripping) while the engine is on and right after being turned off, not as active if at all while sitting unused. I have videos as well where these images were pulled from, but not sure how to embed them if they’re helpful.

· Registered
07 Mustang GT
1,296 Posts
The only way you would leak fuel is a hole in the diaphragm internal to the pump which would show up in the oil or drip out of the pump. Or a loose/leaking fuel line. Other type of leaks would be oil from a bad gasket.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
I would start by having a look at the back of the carb when the gas leaks. Check fuel lines and fuel filter.
The leak would be coming from above, not the trans.

· Tech Advisor
2014 GT, 1967 Fairlane GTA
5,404 Posts
Yeah, you're not leaking gas from the actual bellhousing or spacer plate since that's impossible. As the others have noted it's probably squirting from a fuel line. The pump is another possible source but I don't see how it could squirt that far up over to the back of the engine. A carb connection is also possible if it was running down the carb base or manifold and then to the back of the engine block.

· Registered
17 Posts
pull your air cleaner off so you can see the manifold and carb. start the engine, grab a flash light look for obvious leaks above the area you have noted. If the carb or gasket is leaking it will be obvious as your manifold will be holding a lot of fuel. If it is a fuel line you will see it spraying onto the block or transmission near your noted location. Look at where your steel fuel line transitions to a flexible line and the hose clamp that secures them together. Inspect your fuel line as well to the pump and from the pump to the carb. Should be fairly easy to track it down.

· Registered
7,180 Posts
The design of the Autolite reduces the possibility of fuel leaks by having no gaskets below the fuel bowl line. The only exception is the power valve, located at the front driver's side. So when they leak, that's typically where, as the paper gasket or rubber diaphragm ages. The four screws that hold the gasket in place are only accessible by taking the carb off the manifold. If that is leaking, then the internal paper/ rubber components are as well. So rebuild the carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts