Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have on my 67 convertible BFGoodrich 235-65-15 mounted on steel style 8 inches wheels; the handling on rough roads is terrible and I was wondering if these tires and wheels are too wide for my front end. Should I use a smaller size and if yes what would be the best size. I'm hoping to keep my rear tires and wheels as they are now.

Tks

·
Registered
527 Posts
A wide tire should make it better. In normal instances it does. I agree that it could be a suspension issue. How old is your shocks, and what type of suspension do you have? Larger diameter wheels would make it handle better, but then you sacrifice ride quality sometimes. You kind of give up one for the other sometimes.

·
Registered
850 Posts
You have a very nice looking convertible!

Unless you have rubbing in the front end when you make turns, I would say you should be Ok with the tires you have. It does look, from the photos you posted in the gallery, that you could use new rear springs. It is sitting a bit low in the rear.

How old are the shocks? What is the tire pressure?

Is this rough riding something that just happened?

I see from your profile, These cars don't take the bumps as smoothly as modern cars. I run across new owners of classics asking about the rough ride of their cars, when there was nothing wrong - just a primitive suspension.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I've changed just about everything on my suspension: new shocks (all around), tierod ends, tables and spindles. The only thing left are the springs and maybe the bushings on the strut rods; and yes I've put new leafspring at the back also. My suspension is stock as it came and I still have drum brakes but they're power now. Just to be clear, when I mentioned rough ride I meant the car kinda follow all the craks in the pavement otherwise the ride confort is nice. I also have a new Flaming River steering gear box and a new rag joint and new pitman arm. If I remember when I was young (a long time ago) we never went with wide tires at the front, just in the back because they said that the stock front end was'nt made for them; what doyou think?

Tks:headscratch:

·
Registered
850 Posts
Are you saying the car tends to drift with ruts in the road? If yes, maybe you should go ahead and change the bushings up front as they may be worn.

I've been running on 215/70R14's on stock styled steel wheels all around on my '67 Convertible for the last 14 years with no troubles. I can't see why your tires would cause drifting with ruts and cracks unless the pressure was low.

What is the tire pressure?

Was this photo taken after the new rear leaf springs were installed? It looks low in the rear.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=64940

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These photos were taken way before I change the leafsprings and I usually keep 32 psi in my tires. It's worse when I go with more pressure. From what you wrote, I think I'll go with stock tire size just like in the old days.

Tanks everyone:happydance:

·
Registered
47 Posts
have you lowered the car? if not I'd probably check the alignment. Optimal tire size on a 67-68 stock car with 15" rims is 225-60-15, the BFG's may be part of the problem.

·
Registered
850 Posts
The tires I have are not standard for '67, but they are the largest size, as I was told by the tire dealer, that I could put on my stock rims.

I keep my tires at 30 psi. Have you experimented with lower tire pressure?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, no I did not lowered the car; as for the tire pressure I had them a few times before set at 30 psi with the same result. Now that you say that the tires themselves could be the problem, then you got me thinking. I guess I'll start with the bushings and if I really have to, I'll switch for better tires. Any comments on what I should buy to have the same look (lettered tires)?

·
Registered
850 Posts
From your photos, I see that you have BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires - I believe they will have any size you want in that tire. It's a popular tire on classic Mustangs.

I'd try changing the bushings first, get it aligned, and see if that is the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From your photos, I see that you have BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires - I believe they will have any size you want in that tire. It's a popular tire on classic Mustangs.

I'd try changing the bushings first, get it aligned, and see if that is the problem.
Sure will, I'll let you know how it goes..
Tks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts