Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the process of installing some Edelbrock Aluminum heads model #60329. Problem is that I am not sure if the pushrods i have will work with the application. THe text says that I may need to buy longer than stock pushrods, however, other text by Edelbrock says that 6.805" pushrods will work fine. I put the pushrods in as well as placed the rocker arms on the studs. The rocker arm seems like its coming into contact with the valve spring too close to the body of the rocker arm and not directly contacting the end of the rocker arm to the valve stem. I am running a cam with stock pistons and an Edelbrock cam with .448" lift and the valve(no need for roller rockers). I just need to know how to determine the correct size pushrods for this application. The recommended is 6.805" but as I have stated it seems too short.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Cover the tip of the valve stem with machinists dye. If you don't have any of that, you can also use white lithium grease. Assmble the rockers as you normally would. Now turn the engine over twice. Carefully remove the rocker arms. Check the pattern in the dye/grease. Ideally, you want to see the wear pattern directly in the center of the valve stem.

Be sure to check both intake and exhaust.

If it's too short, you really need to use a pair of adjustable push rods. Once you get the right length, measure and order new push rods.

Yes, it's a pain in the neck. But if you're going to build/modify an engine, these little steps are important. Just like degreeing the camshaft. Tedious but necessary.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the advice, but am a little stumped. Adjustable pushrods? Where can I get them and are they just a tool or do you run them in normal operation?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Hi, I've got a '67 289 also and putting AFR heads on, the adjustable pushrod checker is a tool you only need one, it has a nut so you can adjust the length until it's correct, then you measure the length and order a normal full set that size.

Here's an example from Summit but you may be able to pick one up local if you have any speed shops near you. I picked mine up at Summit, you can call and they'll tell you the range for sbf engines.
Trick Flow Specialties TFS-9000 - Trick Flow Adjustable Pushrod Length Checkers - summitracing.com
HTH Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.